1756-IF8H intermittent error 16#0005 bad class?

bboytaktix

Good morning all,

We are having a rather strange issue at one of our plants, wondering if anyone has dealt with this kind of problem before. We have a 1756-IF8H card on a remote backplane (ethernet connection to remote backplane) and this card seems to intermittently go into error. The error is 16#0005; bad class. I reset the module and it will work for a few hours or days but then the card will fault again. I know that bad class could be bad assembly instance numbers for a general card, but since this is a 1756-IF8H HART Analog input module, there are no instance numbers to program. I checked the card's revision vs. the HART-returned revision number and all seems to match up.

edit: I searched the forum for the error and card type and did not find any relevant topics. I may be 'new' to programming (only about 5 years) but not at all new to forums!!!

thank you for your insight!

Last edited:
I reset the card and it worked for less than a day then went back into error, this time error code 16#0204 connection request error. I am contacting Rockwell techsupport to see what they think, I am leaning towards bad backplane or something electrical. While I am waiting I will have our local engineer switch the card to another slot in case the backplane slot is no good. Will let you know what I find!

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Still getting this error, I will be contacting Rockwell directly to try and solve this with them; let me know if you have any ideas.