1756-L81ES Losing Program

Watching this thread with interest.

I posted about a year back where we had multiple chassis with L62 and L7x processor either losing comm or lost program. One issue we found was a mal-functioning fiber transceiver on the ring network (not DLR). Once we disconnect that section of the ring changing it to a liner network most of the problem went away.

However, a month or so later the only redundant L7x processor lost program again. We did the reset but it hasn't happen again. Now reading this thread i wonder if we should change out the Power supply on the L7x chassis as well.

Darn... Rockwell used to more reliable...

But if I'm remembering right the last boat he was on 2 years ago was 130 foot long.

Technically these are all ships, but boat or ship, its potato-potato to us.
They are all just holes in the water that you pour money into. :)

The boat/ship I was on the past 8 years was 280'
The three before that were around 320'

This is the new one at 324'

Arctic Fjord Pic.jpg

Watching this thread with interest.

I posted about a year back where we had multiple chassis with L62 and L7x processor either losing comm or lost program. One issue we found was a mal-functioning fiber transceiver on the ring network (not DLR). Once we disconnect that section of the ring changing it to a liner network most of the problem went away.

However, a month or so later the only redundant L7x processor lost program again. We did the reset but it hasn't happen again. Now reading this thread i wonder if we should change out the Power supply on the L7x chassis as well.

Darn... Rockwell used to more reliable...

Pay more and get less seems to the national theme the past few years across the board.
If things don't turn around end of this year I am seriously considering becoming a Costa Rican.

I have a new controller, power supply, backplane and switch on the way to Dutch, just to be sure I have all bases covered.
But after seeing the controller display "Data Storm Detected" I am leaning to more of a configuration issue.

Honestly I have never been on the design side of things much. Every now and then we will build something for a stand alone piece of machinery but I am mostly maintaining and adding things here and there to existing systems and have never built a proper, large network on my own.

That said, can anyone give me some insight as to what should be configured to set up this safety ring properly?
The programmer for the vendor is meeting us in Dutch, but they are the same ones who installed this to start with. I would not mind having a better understanding of what needs to be done, so I can look over his shoulder and make sure that is happening.

Thanks
BCS

I would start reading about networking, about how to configure your Stratix switch, see if supports STP (spanning tree protocol) since STP is made to prevent loops in the network and eliminate that source of packet storms.

Consider downloading wireshark and learn how to use it (basic usage is enough), when the PLC shows that error again get into the network and see if you find any culprit (by MAC address) that is causing the issues on the network.

I would bet on some wonky network, I just find it kinda amazing how a PLC just nukes itself due to a packet storm, going to STOP I would kinda understand, dumping the whole program is just nuts, but it seems like its Rockwell answer to anything that they didn't expect..

Had a customer with this problem on a compact logix. The ultimate solution was to flash to a higher firmware version.

Actually when BCS said he had all different versions I was thinking he should flash everything to ver 35 after he 'advised" the OEMs he had to for compatibility or some other reason

At the moment until the bugs are rung out of all the different systems, changing software versions on any one system is a call that is unfortunately above my pay grade.
Until each system runs "correctly" the vendors still own it and are responsible to make it right. So I cannot make changes like that on my own call......at least not yet. :)

Once our office signs off and accepts the installations then we own it and the chains will come off and I will be free to do pretty much as I/We on the vessel feel is best.

Is there an issue with version 34?
I have seen issues mentioned about 30 & 31 in my readings on the Rockwell site, but not necessarily about the issue we are seeing now.

BCS