adding a 1756-L81ES 5580 Guard Logix controller in an existing control scheme

knucklebucket

Good morning. This is something new to me. we have an existing controller running one of our plants. we are doing a conversion on another controller which co-exists in the same plant. the reasoning is, one (we are keeping) is Control Logix, and the other ( we are eliminating) is Siemens mostly due to proprietary reasons. here is the current situation. the controls from the Siemens is being re-programmed in the Control logix. in order to do that we are adding a 5580 Guard Logix Controller in (slot 6). so it looks like this:

1756-L2 (slot 0)
1756-EN2T Network card (slot 1)
1756-EN2T plant lan (slot 2)
1756-IB16 (slot 3)
1756-OB16 (slot 4)
1756-IF8IH (slot 5)
1756-L81ES (slot6)
1756-OB16E (slot 7)
1756- OF8 (slot 8)
1756-IF16H (slot 9)

I am not finding in the manual how to incorporate the guard Logix controller and associate the respective tags to that controller? I hope this makes sense. and any assistance would be appreciated.

Interesting....
The earliest ControlLogix I've worked with is the 1756-L55. I can't find any info at all about the -L2, but the -L1 was discontinued in 2011 and only supports up to v13 firmware/software.

You're going to struggle to continue supporting the older versions of software. It can be done, but...

Do you have a backup of the program in the -L2? My suggestion is to remove the -L2 altogether and put its program in the -L81ES. Use its safety task for the safety stuff. The GuardLogix also needs the safety "sidecar" module to get above SIL2/PLd. I don't know if it has to be in the neighboring slot or not. If so, you'll need to move the -EN2T from slot 1.

the "sidecar" is the Safety Partner- Right next to it - also need some safety inputs & outputs.
You dont have to have SP with L8, but if its safety application, then you will need SP>

the "sidecar" is the Safety Partner- Right next to it - also need some safety inputs & outputs.
You dont have to have SP with L8, but if its safety application, then you will need SP>

Not quite.

The 5580ES is SIL2-rated. To reach SIL-3 you need the L8SP.

Not quite??

Yes to get SIL3, he will need SP, but do we know if his application need SIL3?

I was clarifying that you don’t need a safety partner with an L8ES for a “safety application,” which could infer either of SIL2/3. With the latter, one needs a safety partner.

Last edited: