1769-L24ER-QB1B Set IP Address in Logix Designer?

Olly

Hi All,

I have a small project using a 1769-L24ER-QB1B and I am trying to get a jump on the project by setting up the software before the hardware arrives but the IP settings in the Controller Properties are greyed out.

Any ideas?

(Yes, I am offline)

I am able to add items to the I/O tree under the Ethernet object, no trouble there.

I have been programming Allen-Bradley PLCs for many years but this is the first time I have used this type of controller and the first time I have seen this issue.

Cheers,
Olly

IP Address Grey.png

That's one of the gripes I have about the CompactLogix family. You can't save the IP address in the project. So if you don't know the IP address, you have to figure it out another way. This has been true for all of the CompactLogix PLCs I've worked with that have on board Ethernet ports.

Thanks for your help joseph_e2. So I am not going crazy....Yet.

I have mostly worked with ControlLogix family of controllers and with them, this doesn't happen...as far as I have seen.

I am a stickler for having the I/O tree as accurate as possible so I find this limitation a little annoying but I guess I will just deal with it and set the IP address in the hardware when I get it. At that point I will save the project path in the software - assuming it lets me do that.

That's true. If you go online and save the project, the last used path will be there.
Not quite - you have to browse to the device and then click "Set Project Path", and then save the project. If you just go online and save, it doesn't necessarily update the path.

It's one of my pet peeves. To approach a machine that has not been labeled or at least drawn well.
I always, put a label on each device in the cabinet stating the IP address and Firmware Version. Always....

Youll come back in a few years and be very glad you did that!

Not quite - you have to browse to the device and then click "Set Project Path", and then save the project. If you just go online and save, it doesn't necessarily update the path.

Hmmm....I've never done that but the project path is correct in my offline project. I may just be lucky in that I haven't encountered the circumstances where it doesn't save.

It's one of my pet peeves. To approach a machine that has not been labeled or at least drawn well.
I always, put a label on each device in the cabinet stating the IP address and Firmware Version. Always....

Youll come back in a few years and be very glad you did that!

or putting some kind of system build document in the program itself, either in the first ladder, a long rung comment showing the IP, Firmware, etc. and any updates that changed anything.