1771 SDN/ C DeviceNet scanner help

BeepBob

Hello,

I am setting up for practice and I am having trouble seeing the 1771 Scanner in RsLinx as well as Rsnetworx

My setup:

slot 0 : PLC-5/40E
slot 1 : CoPro
slot 2 : 1771 SDN/C

the chassis is setup for 1-slot addressing, the scanner is setup for 1-slot addressing (switch 8 under Configuration is “on”). Address for channel 1 is 0 and address for channel 2 is 1. The scanner should be located at Rack 0 Group 1 Slot 0

Can anyone point out what I am doing wrong ?

I’ll add some screenshot

IMG_0240.jpg IMG_0239.jpg

Like all other 1771 modules, the 1771-SDN does not appear in any kind of browse or auto-detection across the PLC-5 backplane. Folks are spoiled by 25 years of Logix.

To see the DeviceNet port of the 1771-SDN In RSLinx and RSNetworx, you will need to apply 24V DC power and connect at least one slave device to one of the ports of the Scanner.

I don't like or recommend the 1771-SDNPT Pass-Through driver; you will be far better off with a 1770-KFD or 1784-U2DN.

I realize now that you're the Forum member with the mix of archaic and modern stuff to mix: DNet with the PLC-5 and ProfiNet for a planned S7 migration.

Get out some graph paper, you're going to need it !

Last edited:
Like all other 1771 modules, the 1771-SDN does not appear in any kind of browse or auto-detection across the PLC-5 backplane. Folks are spoiled by 25 years of Logix.

To see the DeviceNet port of the 1771-SDN In RSLinx and RSNetworx, you will need to apply 24V DC power and connect at least one slave device to one of the ports of the Scanner.

I don't like or recommend the 1771-SDNPT Pass-Through driver; you will be far better off with a 1770-KFD or 1784-U2DN.

I realize now that you're the Forum member with the mix of archaic and modern stuff to mix: DNet with the PLC-5 and ProfiNet for a planned S7 migration.

Get out some graph paper, you're going to need it !

haha yes sir!

I added one device to the network, and applied 24v power, now the LED displays just error code 78, which is “slave device not on scanlist” which makes sense.

Now what I tried to do, is create a DeviceNet driver in Rslinx, through the PLC5, so that I can browse, but sadly I see nothing in RsNetworx

We have field PLC5 with 2 scanners in the chassis and the above step is how I browse the devicenet network and it works fine. What am I doing here that is different than the PLC5 that we have in the field?

Ahh I see, what we have been doing is the 1771-SDNPT Pass-Through driver that you mentioned, and it isn't recommended.

I also have a cable that plugs into the devicenet scanner ontop of the line plug. I will try that next.

Last edited: