1771-VHSC for measuring shaft speed/direction?

Paul351W

I have an application coming up that will have 2 oil shear brakes on opposite sides of a differential. I need to be able to control a speed difference across the differential by controlling the brake torque on each side.

The brake controllers will have their own stand alone controllers to control the torque requested by the PLC-5, but I figured I will have to do the speed control loop in the PLC. Both brakes have a speed encoder that I could monitor, can the VHSC module measure speed easily & quickly? I thought that using an encoder input would be better than using analog inputs from the speed sensors.

I think the PPR will be 512, and the shaft speed will be up to 1000 or 1500rpm is all, and the customer wants to control the speed differential within +/-5rpm. During some points they want no speed differential, and other times they will command a speed differential, up to around 150 or 200rpm is all.