1794-id2

pyles76384

Just a few quick question, can you use a prox switch with a 1794-ID2? I need to read a prox to measure RPM, I'm having a major brain **** right now
Thanks Guys

According to Page 1.1 of the 1794-ID2 Flex I/O 2-Input Incremental Encoder Module User Manual, the main use for this module is counting of pulse transmitters or incremental encoder inputs.
The module’s primary use is accurate, high-speed counting of pulse from pulse transmitters or incremental encoders with 1 or 2 pulse trains. This includes quantity counting, positioning and speed calculations.
It will accept pulse input speeds of up to 100 KHz. If your prox switch has the capability to switch ON/Off fast enough for the RPM that you want to read, and if you wire the module as shown in the attached picture, and set up your 1794-ID2 to receive "Pulse Transmitter" inputs, and then go though the steps in Chapter 3 of the User Manual to configure the module,

then yes, it just might work!

That is a lot of stuff that all has to be set up just right to make it work. Without a "B" input (0 signal on terminal 2), the module will default to Count Up on the prox-switch input at the "A" input on terminals 0 and 1, if the configuration is done properly for the Pulse Transmitter input mode.

PS: Off topic, I am finally glad to meet online with the real Allen Bradley that I have heard so much about for the last 50 years!

Allen Bradley 1794-ID2 Wiring for Pulse Transmitter Input.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Lancie1
I saw that and attempted it but it did not work, but since you also thought that it was possible, I will try it again, I may not have done it correctly. It's been so long since I used Flex I/O, you know you try to fly through it like you know what you're doing and realize you forgot alot of things
Thanks David

It might pay to read further into the manual. Some AB devices need to have an enable bit triggered. This might be the case here.
I have not used this device.