232 - 485 protocol converters

scottmurphy

Can anyone recommend any reasonable types of 232 - 485 converters.

I will eventually need 5, the drives I am talking to
only have 232, but can be addressed to be identified.

1) Avoid "port powered" converters, use the DC power supply to ensure good performance.
2) I've had suitable converter performance from Phoenix Contact, B&B (above), but miserable experience with Black Box.

3) Spend the money for isolation. If your comm line takes a spike or close lightning strike or whatever, it's usually a lot easier and a lot cheaper to replace the isolated converter that takes the hit than it is to replace the comm card on the device/PC/PLC.

Dan

I normally use Adam 4520 isolated converters from Advantech. They are 24VDC powered and work like a charm. Have never had a problem with them.

Used some US made non isolated types once (good brand) and watched the chips "sizzle" because I had hooked the other end to a "pseudo" RS232. The voltage was not at the correct levels. This will not happen with isolated types.

I've had excellent luck with Red Lion converters. The RS-232 side has a DB-9 port and if you set them up correctly you can just tie into your network from your laptop serial port with a null modem cable.

P.S. Don't use the work "protocol" with this device. It has nothing to do with protocol, just electrical connections. This is a source of lot's of confusion.

Link to some I have had experience with:

folderclosed1.gif
blank.gif
Interface converter

232/485

While I know you specifically indicated a need for 232-485 converters, often times I have found that people use these in pairs, using the 485 to gain distance. Have you considered going Ethernet to RS-232 instead? Again, I'm simply suggesting this as another method to achieve longer distance.

DeviceMaster RTS is a low-cost, effective product for this alternate solution.

Contact me directly if interested in additional details.

Go East. young man.

I purchased one off Ebay from Japan for £0.01 with £9.99 as P&P. Bargain. Superb for comms with Control Techniques Commander SE inverters and SESoft.

D9 pin RS232 - RS485 D9 pin + D9 pin to terminals. Port powered.