4-20 mA Data Logger Recomendations

celichi

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello,

I am looking for a way to record 8 @ 4-20 mA channels for review offline at a later date.

Sample rate would be 1/sec.

30 day history would be ideal.

Something that I can hook up, and leave and then come back to pull the data.

So, 7 million data points per channel.

Any experience or recomendataions?

Thanks for reading.

P

How do you want to get thw data out of the logger? I'm a PLC geek so Ive added a small PLC with the anlog values and used an HMI that we had on hand to handle all the polling. A simple CSV file.

How do you want to get thw data out of the logger? I'm a PLC geek so Ive added a small PLC with the anlog values and used an HMI that we had on hand to handle all the polling. A simple CSV file.

Flexible on pulling the data.

PLC maybe the way to go in a small case, as the sensors will need to be powered as well.

What PLC did you use?

We use mostly AB, some Unitronics.

Thanks for your input, I really appreciate it.

I'm an AB guy so I would grab whatever im comfortable with. Ive used a bunch of 820 and 850 i think you can get a 2080-IF4. Spectrum controls may have some universal analog inputs that may be isolated. I havent used Spectrum conteols enough for the 2080. I had a customer that used the 2085 for 850 and had great luck.

The Redlion HMI that I grabbed was just something we stocked.

There are standalone dataloggers out there. I've seen some Datataker ones from ThermoFisher in my site (no longer monitored), but judging by the price of each I'm stumped why a PLC wasn't bought instead.

https://www.thermofisher.com/uk/en/...sing/data-acquisition/industrial-loggers.html

A regular PLC may be tricky when it comes to the logging part though. Perhaps Beckhoff or some Codesys based product is better at it?

You could also purchase RSLinx Classic License and that would allow to send data from CompactLogix PLC to Excel.
Another option could be LabVIEW with cDAQ (probably much more expensive than PLC solution).

If you have a computer on site that can be used, you could use ICC's free Modbus Master Tool in conjunction with a Modbus remote I/O module, such as the ADAM-6217-B. The ICC Modbus Master Tool can log indefinitely to a CSV file at any chosen interval and supports both Modbus RTU and Modbus/TCP.