42 years industrial controls - Retirement this Friday 10/28/2022

Plastic

Retirement Milestone
It’s been an amazing 42 year trip. I have had great fun, seen amazing technologies, met good friends, learned something new every day. I have launched hundreds of “cradle-to-grave” projects to 100% customer expectations. Blink your eyes, 42 years gone by.

This Friday, I will turn in my badge, and walk away with heavy emotion on my heart. My team of co-workers are also some of my closest friends. The good news is that I will still be able to golf, ski, and other outside of work activities, so I will still have them. My intent is to have lunch with them about once every other month, and listen to them talk of their current project challenge, and laugh and say “I am struggling with my putting”.

My work history actually precedes every-day PLC control. The injection molding machines I first worked on (1980ish) were two panels of AB 700 “N” relays.

My first PLC project PLC 2/30 was before computers were used in business or industry. I programmed the PLC 2/30 with a “Blue-Goose”.

Shortly after we had AB PLC-5 and computers running MS-DOS and AB 6200 software.

I designed, installed, and launched turn-key Injection Molding Machine control retrofits that included world-class injection closed loop control. I believe Peter Nachtweys hardware was the key element on most of the projects, (disguised as AB 1771 hardware).

The retrofits I designed and launched were usually 2,000 Ton and above, and all brands from HPM, Natco, Cincinnati Milacron, Boy, Italtech, Battenfeld, UBE, Engel, Husky, Beloit ..etc.

Later I got involved with retrofits on Large Structural molding machines using Bosch-Rexroth closed loop injection controllers. 120 lb shot size with 400 hp extruders.

Lastly, on my latest 8-year gig, we have injection controlled by Delta RMC 75, again “World Class” Closed Loop Injection Velocity/Pressure Control. (Full Circle) Thank you Peter.

I could type for hours on all of the cool-fun stuff I have been learned, absorbed, every day of 42 years, I would not trade for any other path in life…. “pinch me, how could I be this lucky?”

This Friday, I will turn in my badge, I guess I can turn off the recurring wake up alarm on my phone.
This Friday, I will turn in my badge, hug my friends at work.
This Friday, I will turn in my badge, exit interview with corporate HR.
This Friday, I will turn in my badge, drive away from work, (tear in eye)

This Friday, I will turn in my badge,… Start a new wonderful Chapter 4 of life.. Me and the missus can/will continue to enjoy the freedom to move about the country / (the World).

Plastic

Thanks for the insight on your "Blink". Can't even gauge the impact you probably had on this world. Best of luck for Part 4!

Congratulations on your retirement. Enjoy yourself and stay as busy as you want to.
When I retired six years ago I had the luxury of being able to do occasional work for a select few of my pre-retirement customers. That finally ended earlier this year as the last of that select few closed down. But I still have my volunteer work and my grandchildren, so I keep busy.

From a fellow retiree. Good luck. Travel might be a little harder than you think. One thing I was thinking of doing is taking a trip around the country on a Amtrak train. There are videos on what to expect. If you want to go to the EU, do it now while the dollar is trong and the EU hasn't collapsed. I know I guy that took is family to France and there were strikes that screwed up his travel plans. The Rhine river cruises are limited by the low water levels.

There is always something to make things challenging.

My retirement hasn't been what I expected and definitely not boring. I would like some boring. I doubt the world will be boring. Stay vigilant.

Congratulations on your retirement. Enjoy yourself, and keep an active lifestyle, whatever field it is.

Congratulations, I retired three & a half years ago, didn't think I would ever do it but decided to go for it, don't regret it, do miss it but you have to slow down sometime (well my other half does not think so), certainly don't know how I managed before as time seems to fly even faster now. Enjoy it.

I could type for hours on all of the cool-fun stuff I have been learned, absorbed, every day of 42 years, I would not trade for any other path in life…. “pinch me, how could I be this lucky?”
An idea now that you have time on your hand would be to write it down and publish it somewhere for the afterworld to see. It may be very tech specific, but that is what is interesting for nerds like us.
It is disappointing how little there is to be found from the early days of PLC controls. I will read it if you post something.

Congratulations and the best of luck in your new life !

Yes that would make good reading, I remember the days of hand held programmers CP/M operating systems with twin floppies on massive consoles that stretched your arms as long as a gorrilla, Ah... those were the days.

Congrats on your retirement, now you know your true bedtime, 30 minutes after you fall asleep on the couch. Retirement is the only time in your life, when time no longer equals money. Enjoy working at living, rather than living at work.