42 years industrial controls - Retirement this Friday 10/28/2022

Congrats again,

please keep in touch, your experience and posts are educational.

Ronnie,
i agree with you, who is coming behind us?
so far all i see is kids who know it all, refuse to listen to our personal experiences and boo boos. i'm working with 2 now who know everything.
sad, but true..

May you have a long life in retirement and always prosper.
james

All the superstars of automation controls are reaching or reached retirement age. (Including me)
The world economy depends on automation - that's how important it is.

But who is coming up behind?.....

Not that I really disagree but I remember when I was in my early 20's and I was serving as an apprenticed in the IAM and all the old timers were saying the same thing.... well 30 years later we are saying the same thing, just the faces have changed.

Not that people are getting lazier but they are and they dont want to work, they are entitled and think everything should be giving to them, but this is for another conversation.

I remember when I left my last real job, 2007 I thought there is not a chance of this place staying open if I am not hear, they are still open and running strong, I guess I am not such a bad *** after all... nah I am ;) , its just when there is a need someone will step in and life goes on.

so far all i see is kids who know it all, refuse to listen to our personal experiences and boo boos. i'm working with 2 now who know everything.

It's like when our kids started to drive cars: all we could do is hope they either have a close call, or survive their first accident, and then realize they don't know it all, and finally learn. Like we did.

Sadly, there are electricians who don't survive their first shock. The ones that do either learn or don't survive a later one, right?

Ronnie,
sad, but true..

james

This was the same issue I had with Co-op students. The ME ones weren't bad but a couple of EEs were real pains. So we would let them fail at times. Yea, with documentation of prior recommendations. If safety was an issue we'd step in of course.