5/05 & rs 232 coms (null modem) problem

stuman

I have a new L551 that I want to supply an IP address to, so I follow the instructions in the 'ethernet SLC500 processors, quick start for experienced users' guide, and it does not work. I am using a straight null modem cable, 3 wires: pins 5-5 and pins 2 to 3 are crossed. It says that I need the 1747-CP3 cable, but the question is, will the null modem cable work?

I have done it on comm 1 autoconfig, on 2 different computers XP and Win200, it cannot make a connection. When I turn the CPU on, the fault light flashes on, so does the ethernet ligt and then no lights are on, I take it that is normal?

Is there any other way, apart from boottp, of assigning an IP address? what is the IP address by defualt if I reset it and it cannot find a boottp server? I dont know how to use bootp, hence I am trying to stay away from it.

Any help would be great.

Thanks
Stu