5069-L306ER Flashing

James Ross

[FAILURE] Device Identity: Error #11003: Unconnected Send timed out waiting for a response.

I have a 5380 CompactLogix without any extra module, on virtual chassis.
It was labled factory seal, but there was no firmware on it, so I forced to do a stage 2 reset and the firmware goes to 1.063, the PLC want installing firmware.

I tried to flash it to V30, V31, V32, V33. using a direct USB connection.
Several times I tried, the process went on good to last stage, then polling up power, after some seconds, the PLC goes to birthday with no firmware at all, and need to a new stage 2 reset for the sake of the RSLINX could recognize it.

I tried to connect via ETHERNET, but no ping at all, no response from ETHERNET.

I did these with and without SD card.

This is frustrating.

James

Last edited:
Perhaps this KB article ID: QA25951 | Access Levels: TechConnect will help. It does require a tech connect contract to view. It pertains to the 5370 series, but does sound similar to what you have reported.

As far as I know, factory sealed controllers do not ship with firmware on them for programming, just the 1.*** so you can flash the firmware yourself.

It sounds like you're doing everything correctly.

CompactLogix and ControlLogix all come out of the box with 1.x boot firmware only, ready to have the desired version of firmware loaded onto them. I generally use the USB connection because it also allows you to choose either mode (dual IP or DLR) for the Ethernet ports.

Definitely make sure you have a sufficiently sized power supply unit so you can't experience a restart brownout (described in that technote). I used a 5A benchtop supply for my 5069-L310ERMS3 installation just yesterday.

It seems I was unsuccessful in describing the situation.
When I said the controller goes back to birthday, I mean it lost even the V 1.063 and the panel shows blinking "TEST" and sometimes "CHRG", and the PLC can not anymore recognizable via USB, No Ethernet communication can be made, and in order to can connect again, a stage 2 reset would be necessary, which returns the encoder to the V 1.063 again, and again, and again ...
james.

Last edited:
Ken Roach
Thanks
I'm pretty sure about my power supply.
As I said the controller can go to V 1.063 after a stage 2 reset. Is it possible to connect via Ethernet in V 1.063, so the connection can stay in the flash process. Asking this because my 5069 is out of ping, all the time. the Net A1 or A2 never blinking, and the laptop never recognize a network, no unidentified network at all
Something may you have experience: When I flash it in CF, the result is the Red highlight saying the process is unsuccessful, but in CF+ the message says "flashing finished". Is that Odd?
James

Last edited: