eBay a 5069-L306er from China?

Although my company would shy away, I personally would use them to get out of a bind. Perhaps you can check on the serial numbers with A-B. They appear OK, although the seller has very limited feed back...

I bought a couple a few years back from a company that no longer advertises they carry them but do. They appear identical and genuine, I've had no problem with them either. But they do give you that feeling ...

I have done it in the last year, when getting a project was on the line. The prices are much cheaper than my LD. I am not sure how that is possible unless my LD really is raping me. The boxes come sealed and everything looks legit. I have noticed the date codes might be a little old, suggesting they have sat on a shelf. I only deal with sellers that have a very high rating.

I have had a couple issues. Once I ordered a L24 and the seller cancelled the order. I suspect they found out they could sell it at a much higher price and relisted. Another time I got a processor that was not factory sealed and had firmware and a program installed. But knock on wood, I reflashed it, everything worked and is still working.

If it’s not coming from a Rockwell Distributor, I wouldn’t trust them. The likelihood that it is counterfeit is high. You could wind up with a variety issues such as; no warranty coverage, no support, failed or poor programming software connections, problems with reliability / longevity and possible safety problems (which would get tied to liability problems).
You can use the Rockwell Distributor locator to find authorized distributors. If it’s not on Rockwell’s list, they are not a distributor and not authorized to sell AB products.
https://locator.rockwellautomation.com/

Lol, our local Rexel has twenty-two 5069-L306er's back-ordered, so what's the deal with so many factory-sealed processors from china on eBay. Are these bootleg? Would you buy one for development, customer or gotta do what have to do to keep stuff running? https://www.ebay.com/itm/203833796843

That seller only has a feedback score of 1... I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. I know at least two of my old customers (when I was an integrator) that have bought from fleabay in the the last year and they both got knockoff products.

I think of it this way.

In the US. if you have a major project going on, you'll end up using what you can and what you tear out to upgrade tends to just go in the 'bin', whether that's just trash, or not worth the companies time to inventory and keep... The US standard is either toss it, keep it off the books just in case, or somebody nabs it for secondary use.

China and India tend to be scavenging for profit type. So if something is not quite right but isn't sellable, it ends up being sold on ebay or aliexpress. and same for old equipment, everything has a value because there isn't any value in just abandoning things there. Take a 2-300 dollar chinese process meter that EEVblog had a thread about a while ago. Somehow there were hundreds of multimeter/processmeter units being sold for 7 dollars each...Shipped... and when they were torn apart, it was discovered that they were genuinely decent sim/source devices with TI chips and everything. The kicker was that some worked good, but a lot had functional issues that were extremely obvious.

The dirty secret is that the stuff was probably factory rejects slated for disassembly or destruction, and somebody got ahold of a bunch of them and went to town making a quick buck on what would have been trash, but now was just marginally functional. legit packaging and everything...just sub par quality not suitable for the standard 300 dollar pricetag.

buyer beware if the deal looks too good to be true.

If it’s not coming from a Rockwell Distributor, I wouldn’t trust them. The likelihood that it is counterfeit is high.

What the Chinese are doing here is searching worldwide for discounted Rockwell products and selling them at a considerable savings.

They will make copies of the boxes and re-box them if they are shop-worn or opened, but the components are real Rockwell - and other brands.

The dirty secret is that the stuff was probably factory rejects slated for disassembly or destruction, and somebody got ahold of a bunch of them and went to town making a quick buck on what would have been trash, but now was just marginally functional. legit packaging and everything...just sub par quality not suitable for the standard 300 dollar pricetag.

LOL, really.... boy if they have that many rejects someone needs to get fired

LOL, really.... boy if they have that many rejects someone needs to get fired

Actually one of my customers is a circuit board shop with Rockwell jobs. And Siemen's.

You wouldn't believe the quantity of boards they get shipped back that are defective that Rockwell, and many others, want credit for the board itself plus the value of all the components soldered on it. I have seen UPS drop off 30 boxes or more of returned rejects in one day.

And that's not counting how many bad boards the shop catches and scraps out themselves. They're not running a 5% reject rate, more like 50% if you watch the process through their whole shop.

You wouldn't believe the quantity of boards they get shipped back that are defective that Rockwell, and many others, want credit for the board itself plus the value of all the components soldered on it. I have seen UPS drop off 30 boxes or more of returned rejects in one day..

I would... I worked 18 years for one of the largest PCB manufactures in the world and saw my fair share of rejects/rework.

That said, they will be rejected before they are installed in there housing and packaged for sale, there are not that many PLC lines from RA made in China, so the odds of them being rejects, packaged up and shipped to a different country at the volumes I see, its just not possible.

These are all grey market products, China does make black market knock offs of Siemens and Mitsubishi but I have not seen any RA products, I have seen a TON of old re-boxed and sold as new coming on the market, I think the chip shortage and the price increases having a big reason for this.