Ebay automation laptop

unsaint33

I came across this ebay item. There are many like this on ebay, priced around $600. Many of these come with Ebay 30 day return. What's the catch? These laptops are loaded with Studio 5000, Rxlogix 5000, FTView and many more automation software, 100% active licensed and non-expiring. My local Rockwell vendor would charge me $2000 easy for Studio 5000 alone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1257038060...7gtcAnTPFs2x8+fFGjz1dcPMDf|tkp:Bk9SR-7ynYKxYQ

The catch? It is almost certainly too good to be true. I would go into it assuming that the best case scenario is that they are in fact licensed, but with non-legit licenses. Stolen/copied/pirated. You might get lucky and find out it is 100% legit, I seriously doubt it though.

I'd bet that some of those are a complete scam and even though they say they have a 30 day return guarantee, I'd still be worried I'd get scammed out of my money somehow.

The catch? You might get lucky and find out it is 100% legit

Not from that seller... but one time long ago, there was a school that was selling the laptops from their classes but they had the lic and you could transfer the ownership, but it was only RSLogix 500 not a bunch of programs

I know it sounds too good to be true but the seller had over 200 positive and zero negative feedback. Also the 30 day return is a guarantee from the ebay that the seller had agreed to when the ad was posted. Well, I convinced my boss to order it. I'll let you all know in couple of weeks.

I came across this ebay item. There are many like this on ebay, priced around $600. Many of these come with Ebay 30 day return. What's the catch? These laptops are loaded with Studio 5000, Rxlogix 5000, FTView and many more automation software, 100% active licensed and non-expiring. My local Rockwell vendor would charge me $2000 easy for Studio 5000 alone.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1257038060...7gtcAnTPFs2x8+fFGjz1dcPMDf|tkp:Bk9SR-7ynYKxYQ

be careful. if someone turns you in or the guy selling the laptops gets busted and they track you down from him your company will be up **** creek without a paddle.

I pay $10000 a year for rockwell software. I guarantee you that laptop has all pirated software on it.

You know, it's not impossible for people to modify files with Hex editors, software is getting more complicated, but it was pretty simple to get around certain features like passwords and software locks to keep you from converting things, not even 5 years ago.

How do you know this isn't an FBI cyber task for operation where they sell pirated software software on laptops on ebay. Then, after the package ships and it's opened and used the first time, the embedded SIM card sends a signal out and it's a whole new season of 'Bait car', except with laptops!

I thought about selling laptops with software pre-installed with no software keys. You would then have to purchase keys from Rockwell but without the pain in the balls of installing it.

Oops.. Installed FTME 6.2 before Studio5k rev28? F you start all over...

Ooh you installed rev 21.03? big mistake. when you install Rev26 you'll find Its no longer compatible with a 21.01 machine... You'll have to uninstall FTLinx 6.2 then Studio5k 21.04 then studio5k rev 30. God help you if you've got FTAM rev 3.0 installed on a server you can't restart because the boiler room runs on it and you install FTSE 12.

Originally posted by diat150:

I guarantee you that laptop has all pirated software on it.

I will only go as far as "quite possibly". As far as I can tell all the software on that laptop could have been purchased ala carte. The laptop in the post is being sold as "used". So it could conceptually be a laptop from an integrator that went belly up and had a pile of laptops to liquidate. While this is a bit shady it really isn't piracy. You are just moving the software to a new player without telling Rockwell and updating the license. The software is still paid for.

Granted, people that buy Rockwell ala carte don't usually buy that many versions. So it is likely that the "permanent licenses" are not so permanent and the Rockwell stuff will stop working some time this year but after the 30 days. However, that isn't a guarantee.

Keith

How do you know this isn't an FBI cyber task for operation where they sell pirated software software on laptops on ebay. Then, after the package ships and it's opened and used the first time, the embedded SIM card sends a signal out and it's a whole new season of 'Bait car', except with laptops!

There is a distinct difference between the scenarios -- it is virtually always illegal to steal [from] a car, but buying an item from ebay is very unlikely to be illegal.

Generally, the buyer of a counterfeit is treated as a victim of the crime -- having paid for a product believed to be genuine, he has been defrauded.

Knowingly possessing counterfeit is usually illegal (and necessarily follows from buying a known counterfeit), and many such laws include the nebulous situation where one 'should have known', but proving such knowledge in court tends to be difficult so buyers on a small scale are rarely prosecuted, though I would expect the copyright holder to easily obtain a court order for the counterfeit itself to be disposed of.

n.b. Exact laws and provisions vary by jurisdiction.

I certainly wouldn't trust or buy regularly available software that under-priced, but I consider it quite unlikely to be a sting of some sort, as the mere act of buying is not sufficient evidence to establish a crime.

As kamenges notes, it is possible that the whole thing is legitimate, if very unlikely imo. The first thing I would do if I were to obtain such a laptop would be to verify the actual authenticity and status of all licenses.

I will only go as far as "quite possibly". As far as I can tell all the software on that laptop could have been purchased ala carte. The laptop in the post is being sold as "used". So it could conceptually be a laptop from an integrator that went belly up and had a pile of laptops to liquidate. While this is a bit shady it really isn't piracy. You are just moving the software to a new player without telling Rockwell and updating the license. The software is still paid for.

Granted, people that buy Rockwell ala carte don't usually buy that many versions. So it is likely that the "permanent licenses" are not so permanent and the Rockwell stuff will stop working some time this year but after the 30 days. However, that isn't a guarantee.

Keith

im gonna say 100% this isnt the case. the guy has been selling laptops like that for years. He also is selling a virtual machine. not only that ut you cant resell a rockwell license without rockwells consent.

b. Except as expressly stated herein, You may not
sublicense, rent, resell, lease, or transfer the
Software without Rockwell Automation’s prior
written consent.