A-B 1747-UIC to SLC 5/04

Lancie1 said:
Fredbear,

You have a tough choice to either match your office SLC I/O moudles with the field unit, or change all the Input and Output addresses of your office version program to match your office SLC. this is not very useful because once you change the program to match your office machine I/O, it cannot be run on the field unit.

Neither one is very attractive, but the best for me would be to buy some spare backup modules for the field, but install them temporarily in your office machine to exactly match the field unit. You can find the odd module on E-bay for very cheap prices. Then you will have a test bench setup that you can do some real tests with, and still run the results on the field SLC.
Unfortunately, I don't have the financial resources at my disposal to purchase the modules I require. I bought what I have now from ebay, but the modules in the field are expensive 16-point analog inuput and 8-point analog output, and this weird-*** Prosoft Modbus comm module.

I was hoping for a way to trick the office processor to not fault when it doesn't see these modules. Mickey seems to have found a potential solution, so I'll give that a try.

Mickey said:
I have not used this but it looks like you can

I used the Slot Disable S register on an office system with just a 5/04 on a 13 way rack on Friday last week. the site system has 30 IO slots on it and some dnet and rio.

I only played for about 1/2 an hour and every time the slc was put into run it faulted with an IO config error! maybe i missed something, ill go back to it tuesday and let you know.

Well, it turns out that this would work if it wasn't for the stupid Prosoft Modbus module. It references M0 and M1 files that if the slot is disabled, throws a fault. I don't see any way around this. If anyone has any input to this little problem, I'd certainly appreciate it, but I have my doubts. I have a hunch that there is no way to simulate a program that references this module if you don't have thae actual module installed in the rack.

If anyone is interested, the module is ProSoft MVI46-MCM (Modbus Communication Module).

By the way, if anyone has a spare ProSoft MVI46-MCM module kicking around, I'd happily take it off your hands. There seems to be a distinct lack of them on eBay.

504bloke said:
I used the Slot Disable S register on an office system with just a 5/04 on a 13 way rack on Friday last week. the site system has 30 IO slots on it and some dnet and rio.

I only played for about 1/2 an hour and every time the slc was put into run it faulted with an IO config error! maybe i missed something, ill go back to it tuesday and let you know.

I believe if you have 30 slots in the field, then you will need to set up a minimum of 30 slots in the office version as well. After that, you can disable the slots. If you disable the RIO and DeviceNet scanner cards/slots, their associated I/O's are also disabled.

For the original poster, if you disable the Prosoft slot, the slc cpu should still work. I've done disabled slots using the M files before with no problem.

DaveW said:
For the original poster, if you disable the Prosoft slot, the slc cpu should still work. I've done disabled slots using the M files before with no problem.
Disabling the prosoft slot and switching to run generates errors on S:5/4 'M0/M1 Referenced on Disabled Slot'. Also Major Error Halt S:1/13. Since the fault specifically refrences the M files on the disabled slot, how do you get it to ignore the disabled slot?

Last edited: