A-B SLC program backup/data storage

RoTaTech

Equipment: SLC 5/03; PV600 DH485.

I was at a customer's site where the 5/03 power supply was not tightened into the chassis/backplane, and when an electrician tried to open the PS door, the CPU faulted. I could not go online, the program was corrupt.
(Any ideas about that one?)

Anyway, we eventually found the OEM CD and reloaded the ladder. But of course, all the customer's recipes/programs/setups - call them what you like - were history. They have no PC and no-one capable of going online to upload or download. They had 20+ recipes that had to manually re-entered, with no paper backup of the parameters. Likely took them a day or more to do.

So I told him that I would look into a permanent backup. I thought that I could turn on a bit and flash the ladder and data to EEPROM, then just do a Load from EEPROM on error or on startup.

Seems not. I only know how to write to the EEPROM from RSLogix, not from the ladder program. I recall reading about a programmer which could plug into the SLC and load the CPU (I will be searching for that as soon as I finish writing this). Can that unit do what I want - i.e. make an on-demand backup of the program (or at least specified data tables), and then reload it?

Another option - is there someway I could save that data into the PV600 onto the PC-Card?

Cheers in advance

The 1747-PSD Program Storage Device

http://www.ab.com/en/epub/catalogs/12762/2181376/2416247/1239758/2178622/

This is what I was thinking of. Has anyone else used one? Does it backup/restore data tables?

I was thinking in my sleep again last night - I was wondering if I could do the same thing with a terminal program and a handheld/notebook PC with a serial port. I could upload the program into a binary file, and send it back. The key to that is - what codes do I send to the SLC to make it initiate an upload or download of the entire memory?

You could make a control list selector in the Panelview 600 that would allow the operator to put the PLC in program mode and store to the EEPROM. They could also load from the EEPROM and put the PLC back in run mode.
The control list selector would write a value to the first four bits in the S:1 word.

I see that I can view (and I hope, modify) the S:1 word to change the mode.

How then do I initiate a Save to EEPROM? any idea?

I know I can do a load & run (S:1/12), but how about saving to it in the first place?

Manipulating the S:1/10..12 bits wont start a write to EPROM. These bits controls when the CPU will read the EPROM. And by the way, it is what these bits are set to on the EPROM that matters, not in RAM.

I think you can only store the program to the EPROM from RSLogix 500.
edit: Yes that device you linked to can be used also. But I would rather invest in a copy of RSLogix 500 (maybe starter only) than in that device. I think it is intended for maintenance people who should not access the program itself.

Last edited:
Thanks Jesper - that is what I am reading, too, that I cannot write to the EEPROM from the PLC itself.

The customer is not ready for expense and training for the rare occasion when a power blip may corrupt the program. They have only two PLC in the plant - a SLC5/03 and a ML1200, so will not justify that. They will spend a couple hundred to get a "pushbutton solution" for backup/restore, though.

Hey!

Hi there, sorry to hi jack your thread but I noticed that you've been using a 503. its been a long time since I last played with one and I can't remember for the life of me how to get online.. you've got a DH485 port and a rs232 port, the serial port is my only option.. Can I get online by simply configuring linx for DF1 and hitting the auto configure or do I need to use the PIC/AIC driver?? I think I remember doing something like that at somepoint but its gone from memory.. too much control logix scrambles the brain :-(

JesperMP said:
Yes. There is a small risk that the DF1 port has been setup for something else than DF1.

Hi!, Thanks for the reply!

I've just checked the software and the channel configuration suggests that both channels have been set to DH485..

Can I get in through the serial port using the PIC/AIC driver?

JCool said:
Hi there, sorry to hi jack your thread but I noticed that you've been using a 503. its been a long time since I last played with one and I can't remember for the life of me how to get online.. you've got a DH485 port and a rs232 port, the serial port is my only option.. Can I get online by simply configuring linx for DF1 and hitting the auto configure or do I need to use the PIC/AIC driver?? I think I remember doing something like that at somepoint but its gone from memory.. too much control logix scrambles the brain :
-(
If it has a serial port use DF1 and a null modem cable.

rsdoran said:
If it has a serial port use DF1 and a null modem cable.

Hi rsdoran,

Tried that, well i'm told it was a null modem cable.. this was a last minute visit this afternoon and i'm back there tomorrow morning to have another bash.

I tried everything with the DF1 rslinx driver to no avail, I then took a look inside the software and noticed it was configured for DH485 on both channels.. do I need to do something special to get on? like use another driver?

JCool said:
Hi rsdoran,

Tried that, well i'm told it was a null modem cable.. this was a last minute visit this afternoon and i'm back there tomorrow morning to have another bash.

I tried everything with the DF1 rslinx driver to no avail, I then took a look inside the software and noticed it was configured for DH485 on both channels.. do I need to do something special to get on? like use another driver?

When you say inside the software do you mean RSLogix500 and that both SLC5/03 ports are configured for DH485? If so then as you stated above you need to use the PIC/AIC driver ( in RSLinx) (with null modem cable). Also you will need a real serial port to use this driver.

Last edited:
Mickey said:
When you say inside the software do you mean RSLogix500 and that both SLC5/03 ports are configured for DH485? If so then as you stated above you need to use the PIC/AIC driver ( in RSLinx) (with null modem cable). You will need a real serial port to use this driver.

Thanks for the confirmation on that, I was trying to use the PIC/AIC driver but it wouldn't install correctly, I remember having major bother with it long ago but maybe its down to me using a USB serial port. Guess I can't do this job then :)

Thanks for all your help guys, and these fast replys :)

I believe you can get it into User mode (from System mode) by hitting ^U from a terminal program. I remember that I had to do this a couple years back, but I don't remember if it was in DH485 mode or DF1 mode.
Good luck.

RoTaTech said:
I believe you can get it into User mode (from System mode) by hitting ^U from a terminal program. I remember that I had to do this a couple years back, but I don't remember if it was in DH485 mode or DF1 mode.
Good luck.

I'm a bit hesistant to change anything to do with the port configuration as they normally have a pv attached to it..

I am shocked how you can't use a usb serial port with that pic driver though :-( just found an article by rockwell saying the same thing . no usb :-(