A-B SLC program backup/data storage

How then do I initiate a Save to EEPROM? any idea?
Set up a tag in panelbuilder, make the data type a bit array, make the tag address S:1/0 and make the Array size 4
Now set up a control list selector, set the data format to unsigned integer. Put the tag you just created in the Write tag window.
Now create 4 states:
State 0 Program Mode Value = 1
State 1 Run Mode Value = 6
State 2 Store to EEPROM Value = 14
State 3 Store To CPU Value = 15

The Values will manipulate bits 0-3 in the S:1 word

SLC modes

That looks very tempting, Rob.
I haven't a 5/03 on my desk, but I am using emulator to try it out.
When I put an E or an F in S:1 (or anything above 9), the emulator kicks me offline. Where did you get that list?

Here is what I found, from my experiment:
0 - DOWNLOAD
1 - REMOTE PROG
3 - SUSPEND
6 - REMOTE RUN
7 - TESTCONT
8 - TESTSINGLE
9 - TSTNOTRUN
2,4,5,A,B,C,D,E,F - shows OFFLINE, but interestingly the status flags (clock, scantime, math flags, etc.) are still changing

Last edited:
I got the list from Rockwell.
I have a PV550 touch screen connected over DH485 to a SLC5/03.
I don't know if it will work on DF1 through the serial port.

Are you sure that these are not just status information bits ?
I doubt that you can put the CPU in the various modes by manipulating the bits, but maybe I am wrong.

edit:
So far, I have found out that on a PLC5, the S:1 bits are status only. I would be surprised if the SLC500 works differently.

Last edited:
JesperMP said:
Are you sure that these are not just status information bits ?
I doubt that you can put the CPU in the various modes by manipulating the bits, but maybe I am wrong.

edit:
So far, I have found out that on a PLC5, the S:1 bits are status only. I would be surprised if the SLC500 works differently.

I have also witnessed RobA's setup work. Change to program mode, store to EEPROM and then back to run mode.

dmroeder said:
I have also witnessed RobA's setup work. Change to program mode, store to EEPROM and then back to run mode.
Then I stand corrected. I have learned something. :)

Then for RoTaTech, Rob A's suggestion could then be the lowcost solution he is looking for.

Put that "I have learned something" on hold.
Now I have gone and tried that about manipulating the S:1 bits.
My setup is an SLC5/04 with a memory module inserted.

I assume Rob A's observations of the 4 S:1 bits are decimal. It must be decimal for 0-15 with just 4 bits.
From Rob A, "14" decimal = "1110" binary should start a write to EPROM from PROGRAM mode.
From Rob A, Program mode should be "1" decimal = "0001" binary.

I have added bit 4 to the list as this bit seems to follow PROGRAM/REMOTE PROGRAM status.

43210 Bit no.
10001 Program mode (keyswitch in PROG position)
11110 Manually attempting to start EPROM write
10001 CPU set bits to same as before.

00001 Remote program mode (keyswitch in REM position)
01110 Manually attempting to start EPROM write
00001 CPU set bits to same as before.

In both cases nothing happens.
Can you explain exactly how you have accomplished the write to EPROM ?

I should put that quote on hold!

I just got an email from Westburne, it looks like the same thing that RobA must have. According to it, I can start an EEPROM write.
Unfortunately, my bench unit is a 5/01 with no EEPROM, and a PV600, so I am going to see what I can experiment.

The setup that Rob A has is a DH485 PanelView to an AIC module. The AIC is connected to the serial port of a 5/03 and the port has been configured for DH485. He posted how to setup the tag in the panelview above.

We also tried it going directly from the panelview to the DH485 port on the 5/03 and that worked.

We have others here that have tested it with the serial port set up for DF1 and it would not work.

I also tested it at home with logic in the PLC to manipulate S:1 and that did not seem to work.

It's probably the PFM relay in the DH485 panelview!

dmroeder said:
...I also tested it at home with logic in the PLC to manipulate S:1 and that did not seem to work.

As soon as you go to program mode, your logic stops executing...

I wonder if it is a timing thing since different CH0 modes seem to give different results.

dmroeder said:
...It's probably the PFM relay in the DH485 panelview!

What does the P stand for in PFM relay? I think I know the other two characters...

Interesting subject...hopefully it can be accomplished as there are a huge number of applications...

OkiePC said:
As soon as you go to program mode, your logic stops executing...

I wonder if it is a timing thing since different CH0 modes seem to give different results.

What does the P stand for in PFM relay? I think I know the other two characters...

Interesting subject...hopefully it can be accomplished as there are a huge number of applications...

Pure... and you are probably right on the other two.

It works!

I just tried it with my 5/01, EEPROM (M1), and PV 600.
DH485 network, but that should not matter a whit.

The PV even teels me that the memory transfer is in progress, and when it is complete.

This could be a great day for integrators, offer the customer a backup & restore solution for nothing more than the cost of an EEPROM!

Jesper, I am about to try to upload the PDF I got from Westburne.
Thank you very much for the tip, RobA. Three other reps told me it could not be done.

Rob
:)