AB 440C Programmable Safety Relay

benaiahhenry - Thanks for posting a follow up with your final configuration. I have a couple suggestions for future reference.

1) On the Gate Switch SMF2 that has its inputs wired to 24V, click on Advanced Settings and disable Pulse Testing. If you leave it enabled and there is ever a cross fault (short circuit) between Test Sources MP_12 and MP_13, you will not be able to clear that fault in the Gate Switch SMF2 unless you remove that 24V signal (from BOTH channels) and then reconnect it. Normally the way you clear the fault from the SMF (after physically removing the wiring fault) is by opening and then closing the gate to turn off the inputs and then turn them on (a "Functional Test of the Input Device") - difficult when it's hard wired to 24V!

2) Consider using the "Alternative Device" SMF instead of Gate Switch for SMF2. You can configure this (in Advanced Settings) for a single NC input with pulse testing disabled - that way you only consume 1 input terminal instead of 2.

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the forum!

Thanks for the suggestions I'll keep those in mind for the next project (or if I every have to do anything to this system again)!

-Benaiah

hello

I had bought an allen-Braddley 440C-CR30 safety relay.
I need some help in order to program CR30 correctly.
In attachment I send a scheme with some connections to the safety relay.

Pin 00 and 01 - Emergency stop button Safety inputs
Pin 12 and 13 - Emergency stop button Safety outputs (with test pulse)

Pin 02, 03 and 04 - Inductive sensor Inputs (N.O.)
Pin 14 and 15 - eletro-valve Outputs

I need to program the safety relay this way:
when I02 and I03 are set to '1' --- O14 is enabled to '1'
then
when I04 are set to '1' and I02 set to '0' -- O14 is disabled ('0') and O15 is enabled ('1')

Thanks in advance
qo8dp6m4n

For those of you following this thread, a new feature in the 440C-CR30 release firmware version 10 provides a better solution to the original challenge (needing both auto reset of light curtains and manual reset of E-Stops) -- specifically, the "AND with Restart" logic function block can now be configured with a single input. Connect the E-Stop SMF (Safety Monitoring Function) to a logic level A single input "AND with Restart", then use an "AND" on logic level B to combine it with the Light Curtain SMF. The associated Restart SMF acts as the manual reset for the E-Stops, while the Light Curtains are auto reset.

mariusDarling - in FW 9, a Reset/Set Flip Flop logic block was introduced. I believe this could solve the application you described in your post from March 2015. (I'm sure it's too late for that specific application, but if you get another application like that this new function could be helpful.)

There have been numerous other updates and the FW downloads are free - as of today (September 2016) all the new functionality works for every 440C-CR30 sold from day 1.

The biggest other update is the Logix Designer AOP - with release 2 of the AOP, Logix users no longer need CCW for anything - configuration, the online diagnostics mode, and of course the run time monitoring are all built in to Logix Designer. AOP release 3 utilizes the latest CR30 safety FW, enabling all the newest CR30 functionality.