Ab 5069-aentr

In order to keep the threads on topic, I've created a new thread for this question about compatibility and messaging between those two Logix family products:

http://plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=136785

The question about 5069 with not-meant-to-do-that configurations is an interesting one, and contributors like JeremyM and ControlConn and Alfredo Quintero are going to get their teeth into it.

But let's keep that here, and move the other question to that other thread.

What I am trying to do is add this 5069-AENTR to an existing project - Controllogix processor. It is just going to send analog input (thermocouples) to the PLC. I think I need to set up message instructions in between the PLC and the 5069-AENTR, but I'm not sure that is correct because the 5069 can't really hold any logic bc its pretty much remote IO to my understanding. So, is all the configuration done in the Controllogix's project? Do I need MSG instructions to the PLC and from the AENTR?

I have to reiterate: the 5069-AENTR is not designed, intended, documented, advertised, or supported to work with older CompactLogix and ControlLogix controllers like the 1769-L24, 1756-L55, or 1756-L6x.

It's for the modern 5580 and 5380 family controllers.

Is there a reason you can't use a remote I/O device that is compatible with the controllers you need to connect it to ?

That would include 1756 I/O, or 1794 FLEX I/O, or 1734 POINT I/O, or 1769 COMPACT I/O.

It would not include 5094 FLEX 5000 or 5069 COMPACT 5000 platform products.

It was for a customer. An engineer specified the controller but there was miscommunication apparently. I trusted that it should work together. I get it. I know Rockwell shows on their website what controllers are compatible with what. I did have a hard time finding where though. Thank you for that.