AB ArmorBlock IO BootP/DHCP Issue

TheRooster

Hello all,

I have a 1732ES-IB16 Series A block that I have set the IP address on. I am unable to disable bootp using any method. I have tried using the old bootp tool from rockwell, and the new eip addressing tool. I have tried using rslinx classic and logix5000. On the first three when I attempt to disable bootp or select manually set ip address I get a set attribute error from the module. On logix it simply closes out of module properties when I hit apply (in run mode). Thankfully I am on a 192.168.1 network so for now I have just manually set the rotary switches, but I'm curious why it's not allowing the attribute to be set no matter what? Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it's a safety block not regular IO. The firmware is current from rockwell, 1.012. I haven't found all the rotary switch options for this particular module, it came factory as 999 and allowed me to set ip no problem, but going through rockwells manuals i am in an infinite loop of being sent to the specific product manual which sends me to their general ethernet manual and vice versa lol. I can post pictures if anyone has any specific questions on settings.

I haven't worked with these yet, but some of their devices with rotary switches have specific settings of the switches for different addressing modes, including setting factory defaults. Does the manual mention anything like that?

I haven't worked with these yet, but some of their devices with rotary switches have specific settings of the switches for different addressing modes, including setting factory defaults. Does the manual mention anything like that?
I am still looking for that info. The manual describes how to set the last octet with them, but not all the other options. They came factory set at 999 and allowed me to set an IP address which made me think that was correct. Maybe there's another setting that allows for setting IP and disabling DHCP or something.

There's a tech note with a little more info than the manual (Access level: TechConnect):
Tech Note
Basically, 888 restores factory default (power off, set to 888, power on, and leave on for at least 60s) and 999 is for DHCP. Numbers from 0-254 set the ip address to 192.168.1.xxx. It may not support disabling DHCP when the switches are set to 999. As an experiment, I might try to use Boot/P to set the IP and then change the rotary switches to some other value (except 888, 999, or 0-254) and then cycle power to see if it holds the setting.

Edit to add:
There are 2 notes. First, failure to leave it powered on for 60s after setting to 888 may render it inoperable and, if it's configured in a GuardLogix processor, it must be inhibited before making these changes. I would expect that disconnecting it from the PLC's network would be sufficient, but I could be wrong about that.

There's a tech note with a little more info than the manual (Access level: TechConnect):
Tech Note
Basically, 888 restores factory default (power off, set to 888, power on, and leave on for at least 60s) and 999 is for DHCP. Numbers from 0-254 set the ip address to 192.168.1.xxx. It may not support disabling DHCP when the switches are set to 999. As an experiment, I might try to use Boot/P to set the IP and then change the rotary switches to some other value (except 888, 999, or 0-254) and then cycle power to see if it holds the setting.

Edit to add:
There are 2 notes. First, failure to leave it powered on for 60s after setting to 888 may render it inoperable and, if it's configured in a GuardLogix processor, it must be inhibited before making these changes. I would expect that disconnecting it from the PLC's network would be sufficient, but I could be wrong about that.
I will try that, I also was interested in this in the tech note. For some reason inhibit module is nowhere to be found in the properties tab, I will try and figure out how and then try and disable bootp while inhibited.

1708969216331.png

Attachments

• 1708969161896.png
    1708969161896.png
    28.1 KB · Views: 1
Hi. Is it not possible to detect the device with RSLinx? RSLinx should allow you to change IP settings from DHCP to NV moeroy storage.