AB ControlLogix FAT test

gmoore

I need to do a factory acceptance test for a PLC panel we designed. It has an AB ControlLogix #1756-L61 controller, AI module #1756-IF16, AO #1756-OF8, DI #1756-IB16, DO #1756-OW16I.
We are not programming the PLC and no application is in the PLC.
Should I try to monitor each IO as we simulate them and how do you monitor the raw in and outs (I do have RSLogix5000, just not familiar with it)? Or, would you normally just do a continuity test to verify wiring?

Welcome to the forum. You'll have to at least load firmware to the PLC and put a program in that has as a bare minimum the IO defined. Then while online and with the controller in run mode you can open up the controller tags, select monitor tags, and view the inputs as you simulate the signals. As long as there is no program addressing the outputs they can be turned on/off by writing a 1 or 0 to the output tag from the tag monitor.

Last edited:
Thank you, I think we will test the wiring (continuity) and leave PLC functionality for the developer.

The way I do a FAT on panels is:

With the power disconnected:
1) Verify system components and layouts as per the drawings.
2) Go through the power wiring verifying connections to ensure you don't let the magic smoke out when it does get powered up.
3) Go through with multimeter to verify the IO to terminal block connections.
4) Check all fuses.

Then systematically start powering up the panel.

After panel (and PLC) is powered:
1) Connect to a local isolated network.
2) Install firmware as appropriate.
3) Then I do some cursory checks with live IO.

Thank you all, We did the FAT yesterday. We had a very professional shop build our panels (Brandon and Clark, Lubbock, Tx). They had a field tech. available for us, he had his laptop connected to the PLC upon our arrival and we were able to simulate analog ins while we monitored values on the laptop, write values to the analog outs as we metered the milliamps, jumper digital ins as we monitored on the laptop and forced digital outs as we metered the outputs.

Everything thing went very well, minor issues were cleared up and we signed off on two very well made PLC panels.