AB DF1 Open Source Application

Archie

A while back I posted for download a set of utilities that used an open source DF1 protocol implementation for the AB SLC and micrologix. This is the thread:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=29981&highlight=free+utility

I have now used the software in an actual production machine and wanted to show the capabilties for those who are interested.

HARDWARE
PLC : AB SLC 5/03
Comms : RS232 DF1
12" Touch screen panel : NP-6123S from www.ivcdisplays.com $1095
Slot barcode reader

SOFTWARE
Developed using Visual Studio 2005 (Visual Basic)
Retreives recipe and stores historical data to SQL Server 2005 Express (free version) on a remote PC
About 40 hours was put into developing database and application to run on WinCE terminal. Another application runs on desktop PCs to enter recipe data and reteive/chart historical data.

OPERATION
An operator scans the job ticket
The recipe is retreived from the SQL Server
The data is written to the PLC
During the cycle, the data is displayed on the screen including a real time chart.
After the cycle is complete, the process data is written back to the SQL Server

This type of implementation may not be for everyone, but can fit well for OEMs. After the initial development time, the hardware cost of the screen and barcode reader is only about $1200. This has much more capabilties and is well below half the cost of a Panelview.

MixerPC.jpg

I like it also. Is that graph done in VB.NET also?

I am using part of your utility for a small HMI application I created for some ML1500's and it works great.

Thanks Again,
Bob

The chart is actually TChart from Steema software. It's a very flexible charting component for several different platforms including the .net compact framework.

I wanted to use ZedGraph from sourceforge.net to make it all open source components, but they did not have a .net compact framework version to work on the windows CE device.

Bob... Its always good to hear when others are getting some use out of the software. I'm always looking for feedback on how to improve the communication component.