Link Tag to DF1

maxouni

Hello everyone.
I'm new on this forum and this is my firs thread.
I have problem with AB 1679-L31 tags.
There are tags group (tepe INT[256]) in a controller tags and I know definitely that data is coming throufh DF1 protocol from 3rd party device. How can I proof that this tags are related to DF1 input? How can I find Tag and DF1 relation in RSLogix5000? There is no any comment related to DF1 and program built documtation is not available.
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum!

Here is what I think you are saying: you are using a 3rd party device communicating with the PLC via DF1. You have some PLC tag data that you think is coming from the DF1 device, but you are not sure. If I am misunderstanding then please correct me.

Here is an easy way to check this. You could physically unplug/disconnect the DF1 device while watching (Monitoring) the data tags. The tags will obviously stop reading once the device is unplugged. Of course if the system is in production then you may not be able to unplug the device safely.

I am not sure if this works with DF1 devices, but with Ethernet devices, you can also go to the Controller Tags, then look at tag Data Type. For example, I am currently working on a program with an Powerflex drive communicating over Ethernet. If I go to Controller Tags, I see a tag with Data Type AB:powerFlex525V_EENET_Drive:I:0. I can then Crossreference the tag to see where it is used in the logic. Again, my example is for an Ethernet device, so I am not sure if it is the same for a DF1 device, but may be worth a try.

Thank you for reply.
Sorry for frustrating post. English is not my native language so, I'll try to explain the task I have. I have AB 1679-L31 receiving data from UPS via DF1. I have tags group "UPS" in controller tags (Data Type INT[256]). Now we have upgraded UPS hardware and new UPS can only send Data Type INT[128] and problem is that, old UPS were sending several bits in 128-256 range and of course thay are used in logic, for example there are UPS[239] and UPS[211] used in logic. I definitely know that this tags are related to tada received from UPS via DF1 but I need review all DF1 related tags to move tags with 128-256 address reange to below 128 not harming already occupied adreses

It sounds like you need to remap the UPS tags because of replacing the old UPS with a new UPS. I would first find the user manuals for both the new and the old UPS, if available. Look for data mapping tables. The UPS vendors need to explain what each data address does. For example, INT[xxx] = UPS Running, etc.

Possibly, by doing a Crossreference on the old UPS tags, you can figure out what each UPS tag does, by looking at the existing PLC logic. However, for the new UPS, you really need to get the info from the vendor, regarding which data address is used for what. Otherwise, how will you know which data address means what (unless you guess).

Thank you for advice. Finally I have found mapping tasags to DF1 message. It was mapped by Logic->map PLC/SLC messages-> file num and tag name.