AB Micro1400 to Panelview 600

KLW

The micro has ethernet embedded, the panelview has ethernet embedded. It is replacing like components that was using DH485 with an AIC+ between them. My question is will they talk to each other with just a 232 cable between them? Or do I have to purchase a different type of AIC module?

Cat# 2711-K6C20 is the Panelview part number. It has an ethernet port and a 232 port.

Since the panelview is ethernet, do I even need 232? I have not touched a panelview in years, but if it works like a GE QuickPanel I wont need 232.

HI KLW

I would just use the ethernet port as I checked the AB site and looking at the part number you gave 2711-K6C20 and in Publication 2711-UM014G-EN-P page 20 in indeed shows that screen has ethernet. Its faster but you could also use the serial port as I think both will work.

Donnchadh

No RS232 cable is required. For cabling, you will need either 2 straight through patch cables and a switch or you can use a crossover cable to connect the 2 components directly. I prefer the switch method since it provides a place for you to hook up a PC for troubleshooting.

Thanks for the help, jumping back and forth between GE and AB gets a little confusing sometimes.

Hi KLW

I know what you are saying it happens me all the time but as always its good to ask.

Donnchadh

You will have to change the RsLinx Enterprise config in the Panelview Program of course. Going Ethernet, you may want to speed up the screen updates as well(optional but nice).

Cat# 2711-K6C20 is the Panelview part number. It has an ethernet port and a 232 port.

FYI,
The RS232 port on your PV is for upload/download of its program, it can also be configured for a printer. It cannot be used to communicate with your PLC.

Ok, I'm just going to put both up on the network. I think that will be the most efficient for meeting my objectives. Thanks everyone for the help.