AB micrologix shortage?

I got some analog modules after we found out we couldn't get the 1400 we ordered, but I'm not sure if they were from the factory, or had been on the shelf for a while. Just FYI, this morning they proposed to send us a SLC 5/05 with appropriate I/O modules for the same price as the 1400 and I/O modules we wanted.

Just spent the last two days replacing a SLC 150 :)eek: !!) that died over the weekend. I had no luck getting a uLogix brick, which would have done the job very nicely, but I did get a 1500 and AWA base from my vendor. My local guy had the base unit and the CPU was on the shelf in one of their other branches... don't know if these are also affected by the shortage.

I was planning on using the 1400 but sales rep told me they are suffering from a processor shortage due to a software change in the accounting area. Parts didn't get ordered as they should have. Then they suffered from another screw up that delayed things again. A shortage is expected to extend down to the 1100s as people switch if they can. The 1500 is not affected other than demand maybe. My rep was going to offer another model for same price if the 1500 had not worked out.

Same with us and our distributor. We can't get 1200s or 1400s. And I just needed a 1400 for an upgrade. I'll have to use an older 1200 I had on the shelf instead for now.

The reason for the shortage is because AB is having to certify a new supplier for the Micrologix components. The previous vendor told AB to take a hike after AB basically stopped buying for a time due to the economic slowdown.

AN RA encompas partner said they couldn't get cases for the 11, 12, &1400. My local rep also said new chipset supplier.
My project just went to AD because of lead times.

AN RA encompas partner said they couldn't get cases for the 11, 12, &1400. My local rep also said new chipset supplier.
My project just went to AD because of lead times.

I was told that it will be until the end of the year before things get back to normal... and it will affect all MicroLogix

I heard from a Siemens distributor that they are offering to convert AB programs to S71200 to get the Allen Bradley business.

If I cant get my ML1400 in 2 weeks, I will have to consider it.

Last edited:
It's amazing that AB is allowing this speculation to grow without an absolute public statement concerning exactly what the problems are and the expected resolution including provided work arounds. Though it's not in the realm of safety like Toyota, the lack of openness from AB will really hurt them in the long run. Right now it's little bits of 'I heard this' and 'someone I know thinks that'.

And it sounds like Siemens is reacting the way some American car companies are reacting to the Toyota problems.

If AB doesn't address this openly and quickly they may lose a huge chunk of market share at least in the US.

It is getting grim out there in electronic manufacturing land

Many parts are on allocation or have lead times extending to 20 weeks now.
Even basic 74xx type of parts have lead times of 16-30 weeks.

This is where planning ahead and buying early pays off otherwise one can be left with no product to sell.

These problems usually only occur when the economy is really hot but so many plants are shut down now or shifts not working that production capacity has been limited.

NSS, I was just informed my basic 120v 16 point output relay cards "just seem to be a bit behind". Last week there was no indication of a problem for ML1500s. Last week I didn't have all the manaual controls of whole danged industrial torn out yet either. Sure do this week. SOG...

It's amazing that AB is allowing this speculation to grow without an absolute public statement concerning exactly what the problems are and the expected resolution including provided work arounds. Though it's not in the realm of safety like Toyota, the lack of openness from AB will really hurt them in the long run. Right now it's little bits of 'I heard this' and 'someone I know thinks that'.

And it sounds like Siemens is reacting the way some American car companies are reacting to the Toyota problems.

If AB doesn't address this openly and quickly they may lose a huge chunk of market share at least in the US.

Curious the AB guys on this forum have not commented on this one. Surely they know the real reason. It would stop all the speculation.

Last edited:
My Local Sales Rep says all Micrologix lines are affected. He also asked me how I already knew about the shortage (Heard about it from this site). I guess they're not advertising the shortage.
I told him I needed a 1400, so he hooked me up with a SLC setup to match what I needed for the same price as the MicroLogix 1400, something else I don't think that they're advertising. A SLC 5/05 setup for 1/3 the price.....Sweet. At least they're trying to to make up for it somewhat.
I also needed some 1200's for modbus slaves, since I haven't found any SLC's that can do a modbus slave protocol on it's own, I went to the AD DL-05's & DL-06's for that (will probably stay with them).
I'm have been a fan of AB's plc's in the past (except for price), hate to hear that this is happening, but there are ALOT of PLC brands around ready to take AB's place, & there's not many plc's brands that I don't like anymore.

My local distributor seems to be avoiding giving me a P&D. I am checking Omron and Schneider as alternatives. While I hate to have to learn a new programming interface, it might be worthwhile in the long run. We have used Beckoff and Siemens and AB, so hey, come join the party. I suppose if they know we can and will use any PLC, it keeps them somewhat honest on price.
rmb
ps I will post their delivery commitment, when I get it