AB micrologix shortage?

Curious the AB guys on this forum have not commented on this one. Surely they know the real reason. It would stop all the speculation.

Maybe AB has clamped down and wants to ride this out without having to say anything. Though by now that seems like a pretty dumb idea.

I would think that the boys that are from AB (we know them buy name) would not open their mouths on this topic....

Upper management would not like seeing that there tech's (great techs I may add :) very helpful) are now becoming their press representatives also... the lawyers would have someone's ***

I was lucky to have a few 1400's that were burnt so I sent them off to plccenter for repair. if not for that I would have been in a bind. this is completely unacceptable.

My local distributor advised he has no delivery information and confirmed that AB is having a "delivery issue". Hardly useful information when trying to plan projects and schedule manufacturing. Schneider has all their stuff on the shelf so I am thinking of going TWIDO; I do note their software is not quite as pricy as the Rockwell stuff....
rmb

My local distributor advised he has no delivery information and confirmed that AB is having a "delivery issue". Hardly useful information when trying to plan projects and schedule manufacturing. Schneider has all their stuff on the shelf so I am thinking of going TWIDO; I do note their software is not quite as pricy as the Rockwell stuff....
rmb

I met with the local Rockwell Account Manager on Wednesday and he said they were almost past the problem, but he was a salesman...:rolleyes:

I am further advised that there is a part on B/O that is delaying the ML 1400 and they can "work out" pricing on another stock PLC, either SLC or ControLogix. I am not familiar with either of those - anyone have any thoughts? Would I need to throw a bunch of $$$ at Rockwell in order to be able to program either of those?
rmb

I am further advised that there is a part on B/O that is delaying the ML 1400 and they can "work out" pricing on another stock PLC, either SLC or ControLogix. I am not familiar with either of those - anyone have any thoughts? Would I need to throw a bunch of $$$ at Rockwell in order to be able to program either of those?
rmb

If you have RSLogix 500 and its not one of the limited versions, you'll be okay for the SLC. For ControlLogix / CompactLogix. you'll need RSLogix 5000.

I've pretty much moved out of the Micrologix/SLCs and use CompactLogix (and Controllogix) now.

rmb

TWIDO is just a rebranded IDEC.
If I were in your position I would use an OMRON CP series PLC.
The IDEC is fine but the OMRON software is streaks ahead.

My 2 cents.

It isn't just A-B, and I doubt they would be so stupid in a competitive market as to purposely irritate customers to try to force equipment upgrades.

We are having delievery issues with GE and Siemens equipment as well.

The conspiracy theorist in me has been saying for years that there are only two factories in the world, both in China. One makes all the chips for everybody, and the one next door makes all the labels for all the manufcaturers that the first factory slaps on them as they go out the door.

"for want of a nail the shoe was lost" ... ?

here'e just a another theory to kick around ...

suppose that a certain manufacturing enterprise is based on the famous JIT (Just In Time) model ... specifically, none of the component manufacturers keep anything "on the shelf" – but instead each makes just enough components to feed the supply chain ...

according to the financial pundits, this JIT approach will minimize each company's investment in capital funds – since their money is not being tied up in storing parts in warehouses ...

this "minimized investment" idea sounds great at the bean counter level – and it works pretty well too – but it only works well as long as the supply/sales chain keeps percolating right along at a somewhat steady pace ...

now enter a more-or-less global stagnation of sales of the final product ...

so ... pick a component – any component ... let's say a special chip for example ... and suppose that the special chip supplier in the supply chain suddenly doesn't have enough orders coming in to stay in business ... and so maybe the special chip manufacturer just closes down completely ...

suddenly the JIT model is broken – and since nobody has a JIC (Just In Case) supply of spare chips sitting around in a warehouse, it could take quite a bit of time before the manufacturing enterprise gets back into reliable operation ...

that might not be what's going on here – but personally I wouldn't bet any serious money against it ...

Last edited:
here'e just a another theory to kick around ...

suppose that a certain manufacturing enterprise is based on the famous JIT (Just In Time) model ... specifically, none of the component manufacturers keep anything "on the shelf" – but instead each makes just enough components to feed the supply chain ...

according to the financial pundits, this JIT approach will minimize each company's investment in capital funds – since their money is not being tied up in storing parts in warehouses ...

this "minimized investment" idea sounds great at the bean counter level – and it works pretty well too – but it only works well as long as the supply/sales chain keeps percolating right along at a somewhat steady pace ...

now enter a more-or-less global stagnation of sales of the final product ...

so ... pick a component – any component ... let's say a special chip for example ... and suppose that the special chip supplier in the supply chain suddenly doesn't have enough orders coming in to stay in business ... and so maybe the special chip manufacturer just closes down completely ...

suddenly the JIT model is broken – and since nobody has a JIC (Just In Case) supply of spare chips sitting around in a warehouse, it could take quite a bit of time before the manufacturing enterprise gets back into reliable operation ...

that might not be what's going on here – but personally I wouldn't bet any serious money against it ...

I heard that is very close to what has happened in the lumber industry recently causing a supply problem and higher prices.

I have never been a big fan of JIT. At our work have always said "if you don't have it you can't sell it"
We are only a small system integrator/switchboard builder and obviously cannot keep everything on the shelf but we try to have enough stock on hand for emergencies.

Regards Alan

I have never been a big fan of JIT. At our work have always said "if you don't have it you can't sell it"
We are only a small system integrator/switchboard builder and obviously cannot keep everything on the shelf but we try to have enough stock on hand for emergencies.

Regards Alan

We worked off of JIT at Saturn. We compensated by adding enormous conveyors to the line to make sure that the JIT system had time to catch up.