AB PCMK-1784-PCM5 Cable stuff

SNK

I am curious, I have not done this yet.....I may fry my stuff...

Can I connect my 1784-PCM5 cable (DH+ cable with a D-SUB 9 pin coupled with a gender-bender) into a 1747-AIC module configured for DH-485 and communicate through RSlinx DH-485 rather than using a standard serial cable?

The port is normally used with RS232 I guess....so maybe I have answered my own question. Just trying to aleviate another cable from my pack.

Thanks,

Do not use the DB-9 to round mini-din adapter to connect the PCMK to anything other than a PLC-5 or SLC 5/04 with the round DH+ connector. Many a MicroLogix have been destroyed this way! If you have an AIC+ with the round mini-din, configure a 1747-PIC/AIC+ driver in RSLinx. Then connect your laptop serial port to the serial port on the AIC+ with a 1747-CP3 cable, or connect to the round connector with the 1761-CBL-PM02 cable. If you have an AIC (has RJ-45 connector), you can connect via the CPMK card using a 1784-PCM4 cable.

Thanks for the info. The reason that I ask is that I have purchased the PCM4 cable (RJ45) and the PCM5 cable with BOTH a 9pin Mini Din connector and a 9 Pin D-SUB. When do you use the D-Sub connection then?

Noooooooo !

(Runs in slow motion, waving arms....)

The 1784-PCM5 cable with that DB9 connector on it is NOT an RS-232 port. Don't try to use it for RS-232. Please.

It's actually a DH+ port in a very old form factor, called Peer Communication Link (PCL). PCL was the very early name for Data Highway Plus, and you will still see it painted on the front of some 1980's era PLC equipment. It used a D-Sub style 9-pin connector.

The PLC-5 Classic controllers have a 9-pin DH+ port, and that is the usual reason for using a 1784-PCM5.

I have a very extensive cable kit, and use a 1784-PCMK/A with 1784-PCM5 and a 9DSub/8Mini converter (I think that's a 1784-CP7) for connection to old PLC-5 Classic and Enhanced controllers.

Thanks for the replies. Makes sense when you look at the male/female connectivity on the RS232 ports compared to the male connector on the PCM5 cable.

Actually, our plant only has 1 PLC 5. The rest of the equipment is SLC or Logix5 platform.

Why did I buy 4 of these cables and PCMK cards again????? I wanted to quit having to use the stupid PIC boxes in the future, so I bought 4 of the PCM3 cables with DH-485 connections as well. Oh well, at least we are ready for the PLC 5 invasion......if it ever happens!

Thanks people,