AB PLC time sync

My thought on building a solar tracking system when I upgrade my solar system is to build a black box with a single hole and a array of photoeyes in it.

When the single spot of light is on the center photoeye the solar array is pointed directly at the sun, when the spot moves off to another photoeye move the array to get it back on center. This will work with dual axis arrays.

I even thought of a convoluted program with extra photoeyes and a sensor on the post to allow for tracking over the 180° travel limit imposed by engineers because the array would 'get lost' during an extended cloudy period. My way could allow for up to 320° of travel to get the sun before 9:00AM and after 6:00PM in the northern states.

Fun fact - tried offering my idea to a couple of solar array manufacturers, but they both wanted all the information and specifics before they would sign a NDA or enter a licensing agreement, Living in the Detroit area I know all about how Ford screws inventors.

If you have a Rockwell TechConnect, the 1756-TIME might be the thing you are looking for.

If you have a server connected to an NTP, the server is the best way to sync times.

Hirschmann managed ethernet switches can act as stand-alone NTP servers. I've used the AB example NTP time sync with them, and it all works.

Raspberry PI 5 or similar, with linux, python and pylogix.
Use NTP data to change RTC on your PLCs.
I think my solution is cheap, though I will take several cups of cofee to implement it.