AB-PLC5 1771 IFE Analog Input Config

gary wheaton

I'm trying to open the BTR/W Setup Screen for pre-existing BTR/W's in Logix5 and getting the warning "no module exist in I/O configuration". I have seen/read the previous thread regarding same instructing me to open the I/O config and edit the chassis properties and add the IFE module; very informative.
Question 1: in the Edit Chassis Properties table I need to specify a 12 slot chassis. How can I differentiate a 1771-A3B from a 1771-A3B1 without seeing the backplane?
Question 2: Is there any easier way to find the I/O channel config Voltage/Current Range and Raw Min/Max settings in a saved program without module config data?
FYI: I've got 33 stand alone PLC5s at 2 refineries requiring analysis. I have the current project files, just not with the module config data. Hopefully I don't have to hump my laptop to all 33...

Greetings Gary ...

and welcome to the forum ...

first item ... before you do anything else, look at the Switches tab in the processor's Status file and see which addressing mode you're using for EACH of those files you mentioned ... you will need to enter this information CORRECTLY in the I/O Configuration feature in order to get this project working ...

next item ... can you post any one of your RSP project files as an example? ... we'll certainly understand if you say "no" – but trust me, we can save you a LOT of time and trouble by seeing that information ...

I'm trying to open the BTR/W Setup Screen for pre-existing BTR/W's in Logix5 and getting the warning "no module exist in I/O configuration".

that's quite common ... for the PLC-5 platform the IO Configuration is purely "documentation" and doesn't have to be entered in order for the system to function correctly ...

I have seen/read the previous thread regarding same instructing me to open the I/O config and edit the chassis properties and add the IFE module; very informative.

which thread was that? ...

Question 1: in the Edit Chassis Properties table I need to specify a 12 slot chassis. How can I differentiate a 1771-A3B from a 1771-A3B1 without seeing the backplane?

comparing the pictures in the booklet linked below should help you identify the chassis – but I doubt that the selection is going to change anything in your configuration ... (in other words, either 12-slot chassis selection will probably work OK for what you're trying to do here) ...

http://mms.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/in/1771-in075_-en-p.pdf

Question 2: Is there any easier way to find the I/O channel config Voltage/Current Range and Raw Min/Max settings in a saved program without module config data?

yes ... there is an "undocumented feature" that usually works quite well to make this operation almost painless ... feel free to give me a call – particularly if you can have one of your files open in RSLogix5 ... I can probably talk you through a few shortcuts that I don't have time to type up right now ... (friendly advice is free) ... I'll try to look for an appropriate link after supper and post it if I can find it ... (my distinguished colleague Mickey will probably beat me to it) ...

FYI: I've got 33 stand alone PLC5s at 2 refineries requiring analysis. I have the current project files, just not with the module config data. Hopefully I don't have to hump my laptop to all 33...

I really don't think that will be necessary ...

one word of WARNING! ... if a little box pops up along the way and asks you if the configuration data already exists - just say "YES" ... saying "no" can wreck more than one of your days ...

good luck with your project ...

Last edited:
see if this post from my distinguished colleague OkiePC helps you out ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=137747&postcount=7

the basic idea is that the MUCH older (pre-Windows) AI software for the PLC-5 would do this little "automatically-fill-in-the-blanks" trick for you - but when the transition was made to RSLogix5 software, they never put the instructions for how to do the trick in the book ...

and ...

you probably already know this - but MAKE SURE that somewhere along the way you document the INTERNAL JUMPERS inside the IFE modules ... many technicians don't even know those things are inside there ... think about what happens when Technician Tom swaps a couple of IFE cards around as one of his troubleshooting steps - and neglects to consider that the jumpers inside those two modules are set up completely different ...

once again, welcome to the forum ... we hope that this has been helpful ...

Last edited:
Thank you...that is the previous thread I originally referred to. In order to accomplish adding the IFE module to the controller and open the Chassis Table I would have to be online --> humping out to PLCs since they aren't networked. I'll take you up on the call offer for "undocumented feature".