AB Product Service Advisory

dougrb

This one just bit our *** today. And our AB rep hadn't even heard of it.

Search the knowledge base for "ACIG 2007-05-002"

Here's a quick summary, the KB article gives part numbers that are affected. And being only 1%, we must have hit the jackpot... because out of three CNB/CNBR's, we had two that were on the bad list.

With the above-mentioned ControlLogix and CompactLogix products, hereafter referred to as Logix products, the following functional issue exists:

Functional Issue - A functional issue has been identified with a component used on the above-listed products manufactured from October 2006 through March 2007. A root-cause analysis performed on the component indicates that approximately 1.0% of the products may be affected. Depending on the type of product, the issue may result in erroneous data.

Anomalies observed to date have resulted in modules performing a safe shutdown due to internal diagnostics. To date, we have not seen any instances of erroneous data in the field as a result of this issue.

Did you actually have a problem, or just have some modules that fall under the advisory? Our AB rep says it only affects modules used in the same rack with a safety PLC.

If you did experience a problem that was caused by this issue, what exactly happened?

A CNBR on a remote rack started loosing comms with the PLC. Not a safety PLC. It would lock up. The normal scrolling display on the CNBR would freeze. A power cycle would restore comms for maybe 5-10 minutes. Ended up replacing it it with a older CNB. And here's a little tid bit... putting a CNB in place of a CNBR, it will not show up unless you turn off redundancy in the controlnet configuration.

How long was the module in service before failing? Is it possible that the fault was caused by something other than the problem that is covered by the service advisory?

I've heard from two separate Rockwell sources that the problem described in the service advisory only shows up if there is a safety PLC involved. Maybe someone else (Ken Roach?) could shed a little light on this.

Yes, Dustin, it's Danny from Courtland.

I had modules that were identified in the SA. Rockwell replaced them in 2 days - let me keep them in service until replacements were received. They were not concerned what capacity they were installed (nor was I - they were identified as having issue, so I wanted them replaced).

I agree, but it's difficult to force a shutdown in processes that operate 24/7 to replace modules that have been in operation for months with no apparent problem. If I know that it is unlikely there will be a failure with my system configuration, I'd rather wait for a planned shutdown.

This particular rack was installed the week ending May 18, 2007. And yes, we only had the one failure. The 2 of 3 potential replacements were just on the hit list. There are also two controllogix PLC's in this system and they are on the hit list. They have been in service since the end of October 2006. We are planning on replacing them on the next down day. Tech support told me that the freezing display on the CNBR indicated it was a failure from this PSA.

The PSA doesn't mention anything about this only affecting safety PLC's.