AB PVP CE, Fix corrupted firmware

Hi all, This is not a call to arms. I am submitting this solution for those who find this thread because they experience the same issue.

I recently corrupted my PVP CE firmware. Some history can be found here.

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=941654#post941654

SOLUTION

Learnt a lot about PVP firmware updates in the process.

1. How i initially corrupted my firmware was that the Firware Upgrad Wizard (FUW) i attempted to use was not compatible with the PVP 500-1500 series. It is only compatible with PVP 6 and PVP7. Maybe others too, but i do not know them. The FUW i was using is installed with FTView Studio V11. The FUW i used that worked was installed with FTView Studio V6. I do not know from which FTView version is incompatible, but it will of course fall between these two versions.

2. Solution. I fired up the old PVP6 running on an old Windows XP computer. Opened FUW. Downloaded the requisit firmware, in my case for CAT 2711p, Firmware V 5.10.16.

3. Downloaded firmware is zipped. Unzip to a .exe file.

4. Needs to be compiled into a .FUP file. This is achieved by simply openening the .exe file. Opening the .exe file must be done on the same computer with the compatible version of FTView installed.

5. Open FUW, Create firmware upgrade card. Follow the prompts until complete. The memory drive needs to be formatted to FAT32.

6. Insert memery drive into the PVP. Wait approximately 10 seconds for a firmware update window to appear.

7. Follow the promts.

The firmware update should take no longer than 15min. If you find the PVP goes into screensaver, it is likely a failed installation. Do not reset. Just let it do its thing until it reboots. After rebooting.

Repeat steps 3 to 7, possibly with a different firmware version.

Continue repeating until a successful update is achieved.

8. When the firmware update is complete, the PVP will reboot to the windows desktop screen.

9. Double click on FTView ME station to enter into the configuration page.

10. Navigate through the configuration page to configure network settings.

11. Download runtime file (.mer) to the PVP.

You should be OK now. Best of Luck.