AB SLC's node detection on Remote Network!!

At one of the sites, there are 35 SLC's on one DH+ network. Since it's causing overloading network, we are going to split the network into two networks. We are going to use the 1756-DHRIO modules as gateway in control Logix chassis (Without ControlLogix Processor). In existing program, we had used S:83 to S:86 addresses for identifying target node's availability on network before reading / writing data using MSG instructions.

Since, those were Local types of data exchanges using MSG instructions. Now, we have to use Remote type of messaging.
My main concern is: How to identify the availability of Target Node before any data exchange?

AB is beyond help. If anyone knows the details, pl. suggest.

Thanks in advance.

--Rahul Dave.