AB training in Illiois. Is it valuable?

do the other classes and buy yourself some hardware and learn on your own, there is a ton of free information that will help you

+1

As others have said, a certificate only shows that you had money to throw at a class. It's much more beneficial to get your own hardware (which you could do with $2,000 easily) and learn everything you can on your own. If you can sit down with a pen and paper and draw out a PLC program for a prospective employer, they don't care what kind of certificates you have. It's all about showing you know the job, and that can be done much more effectively with a portfolio and being able to program on the spot when asked.

Thank you. I am working with hardware AB Control logic 5580 CPU.. Big networks with input/ output modules, vfds, encoders, tachogenerators, sensors, lasers... I understand how it is programmed and work together. But I don't have access because company uses outsourcing from Germany. And I can't get position with programming. Probably my resume is poor. I have only simulator and troubleshooting programming experience. I didn't program anything from scratch.
Just need to jump to the environment. Would like to work with PLC, robots.

The college courses will give you a great base to start building on, but I can't stress how valuable it is to have a lab at your house. You can pick up a Micro 800 w/ free software or an L16 with a light copy of 5000 and just go crazy. Design your own systems on paper and then make them work in a program. It's the very best way to start building your skill set because it's all designing systems from the ground up programmatically.

Thank you. I have installed PLC emulate on my PC. I can trigger bits. So I don't really need trainer. Also I have installed Winderware80. It is works with logic. So I can see visually does my program works or not.
Wiring I have learned on my job.

The main question was what is more valuable Collage certificate, collage degree or AB 4days training certificate? And I am asking about value of the paper for HE agent. They don't check your knowledge when you apply on indeed.com for example. Knowledge and peace of paper two different things isn't it?

If you're applying through a service that cares more about certificates, you might be using the wrong service. You should reach out to Aerotek. They are a head hunting service that will search for positions for you that fit what you want. They did a great job for me, as they reach out to potential employers looking for PLC programmers for instance and introduce you, give them your list of skills and level of experience, etc. I'm completely self taught when it comes to PLCs, I have no paperwork, only references from contracting jobs. They got me into a great position in two weeks.

Just a thought. To answer your original question though, a college degree will be the most valuable of the three. Then a College certificate, then an AB certificate. Most companies that deal with PLCs on a regular basis are familiar with the fact that AB is trying to make money, therefore they offer classes where people are free to learn as much as they learn and always "pass" the class. It's nice to add to a pile of other stuff like a work history portfolio, but it won't open any doors on it's own.

The main question was what is more valuable Collage certificate, collage degree or AB 4days training certificate?

A lot of the people on here hire or do interviewing... so telling them you have a 4 day degree (paper) does not mean much, if you have a degree from a school its better... but you would need to prove yourself in the interview, I would still do as Logan suggested and spend the money buying some hardware and using it at home on your free time and you will benefit much more, granted you will still need something to get you the interview in the first place but once your in your can talk the talk and walk the walk

Ivan, I have taken the class you are looking at, and while it is a useful class, it will not help you in getting a job as a programmer. The class is really geared more towards people with little to no exposure to the ControlLogix platform, and only covers the most basic programming. For reference, I was sent to this class back when I first started in maintenance and couldn't even spell PLC, let alone know what one did. :cool: If you want a job in programming you would be better off with the college course and the certificate it gets you.

Bubba.