AB1784-KT & Wonderware

sietsemr

I have a situation where there are two identical Dells, both running w2k, Wonderware 7.1 and using 1784-KT cards (not ktx -- these have the ol' 36 pin connectors).

Anyway, at one time both computers used their own KT cards for talking to a PLC5. However, RSLinx was installed on one of the Dells and now that KT card coughs up errors with the Wonderware IO Server. (Is this the wrong message board/site?). I have tried numerous, numerous, numerous installs and deletes.

The card seems to work fine in RSLinx. However, I thought I would be clever and find the installation disk for the KT card. This is night impossible. Searching the internet will not yield much information.

I have tried uninstalling all AB software, purging the registry, etc and reinstalling Wonderware IO Servers but no such luck. I have even tried a KTX ISA and a PKTX card but no luck there either.

This is obviously a software issue and it is probably something simple -- some file somewhere -- but I can not find it!

Any assitance would be appreciated. I may just start pushing to upgrade computers and go to a PKTX b/c I really don't want to format/reinstall 4 year old computers.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.

1784-KT

Could the problem also be a hardware issue with the computer. Have you tried using another computer.

I personally would push for the upgrade though.

What version of the old KT software are you looking for, its possibly that I might have it somewhere. I havent used KT's for 4 or 5 years now but possible have the old software laying in a box.

I'm quite confident that it is a software only issue since swapping the card into a different, identical computer works and also the card works in RSLinx.

Basically, the problem all started with installing RSLinx (somewhat of a known conflict with Wonderware IO Servers). I think I'm going to scrounge around for ghost of the machine before Rockwell tainting or possible just ghost the identical computer over to this one.

We shall see. Thanks for the help.

What version

What version of rslinx are you running.

Is it running in the background as a service?

Force the service to manual start-up and reboot.

Then only start the wonderware I/O server.

I have found this works in NT

Both RSLinx and Wonderware's AB1784KT IOServer have a hardware-level driver for the 1784-KT card.

If you have RSLinx running as a service with the KT-card driver configured, it will attempt to use the card. If Wonderware's IOServer is also attempting to use the card, they will conflict. No surprise there.

The simple presence of RSLinx installed on the computer (not running as an application or service) should NOT cause any problems with the Wonderware IOServer.

Frankly, I'm surprised you can run 1784-KT ISA cards on a computer that supports Windows 2000. Those cards are built to interface with a front-side bus of 33 MHz, and most desktop PC's exceeded that architecture more than 4 years ago.

The interesting wrinkle is that I can completely uninstall RSLinx and even delete all Rockwell keys out of the registry and the Wonderware IO Server will still yap about conflicts.

Perhaps the computer hardware issue is also at work and it was just lucky that it initially worked (and on its twin which is still working).

The real issue is what I/O server from Wonderware are you using. I seem to remember that there are certain setup files you have to install depending on what card from A-B or SST you are using. You need to read the fine print for the WW IO server. It may have issues with RSLinx being installed on the same machine. I also seem to remember that RSLinx can coexist, just there is a particular install order.

Darren