About state diagrams

powereng

I hope ANYONE can provide or guide me to some good papers, materials or references which had discussed the state diagrams method for PLC software design in more detail. I have searched a lot about such materials but unfortunately with no good result.

Thank You​

Are you refering to Statement list, Grafcet ?
Please let us know which PLC

I don't think you will find it because as far as I know there is no such thing as a "state diagrams method for PLC software design". State diagrams are a means to define in which states a system can be and how it will change from one state to another. You can use state diagrams to describe how a PLC controlled installation should work. The translation from the state diagram to a PLC program is something that has to be done by hand, albeit some manufacturers tried to implement it as a programming language.

The simple answer to your question is this:
  • every state has to be programmed as a bistable memory location, e.g. a set-reset
  • all arrows coming in to a state translate to the set condition of the memory
  • all arrows leaving a state translate to the reset condition of the memory
  • it is good practice to program all arrows first (using separate memory bit addresses) and the states afterwards

Kind regards,

Last edited:
No. I meant how to use state diagrams method to design and write the ladder diagram. This can is applicable for all PLCs.

I don't think you will find it because as far as I know there is no such thing as a "state diagrams method for PLC software design". State diagrams are a means to define in which states a system can be and how it will change from one state to another. You can use state diagrams to describe how a PLC controlled installation should work. The translation from the state diagram to a PLC program is something that has to be done by hand, albeit some manufacturers tried to implement it as a programming language.

• every state has to be programmed as a bistable memory location, e.g. a set-reset

Kind regards,

Thank You jvdcande
I really knows your simple answer but my question was for more tips and tricks with that method .

For Example : How can I turn on / off a motor with a single switch??

Where can i find such tricks ?

there a large number of threads on this site that will help you.
You question is misleading due to the huge knowledge base available here.

I understand you are wanting to learn how to program - is that right?

Attached is an example of a simple State Diagram used in the software design process. It's pleasing to hear that someone actually wants to "design" some software, so much of it just "evolves".

Nick

State Diagram.jpg

Changing the subject from "where to find lecture about state diagram method" to "how can I turn on / off a motor with a single switch" earns the OP a free weenie from me. He can collect any time.

btw. can someone spot something funny in the question:
"How can I turn on / off a motor with a single switch??"

It reminds me of a cartoon with a massive featureless machine with only a single huge switch marked OFF - ON. The operators are asking the factory technician "Can you run through that again?"

Toggle.JPG

Last edited:

• it is good practice to program all arrows first (using separate memory bit addresses) and the states afterwards

Kind regards,

there a large number of threads on this site that will help you.
You question is misleading due to the huge knowledge base available here.

I understand you are wanting to learn how to program - is that right?

yep , that's right i want to learn how to program.

My example was only a demonstration not a target in itself. I have mentioned it to enquire about how to design such problems using state diagrams as the direct way of the state diagram construction doesn't pay here.

There is a paper "Automated synthesis of Ladder automation circuits
based on state-diagrams" which discussed -but in brief- what i asked for here.

http://www.4shared.com/document/uyInt6LB/Automated_synthesis_of_Ladder_.html

Finally, I'd like to thank every one contributes in this thread and i hope more and more.

A simple introduction: http://www.plcdev.com/sequential_function_charts_all

They are an excellent and compact means of designing a program, provided you don't try and include absolutely *everything* in your diagram (use a collective "fault" bit and "restart bit" for example). I use them a lot because they can (1) form the most important part of the documentation and (2) make your implementation of the logic more reliable if you're using a state machine construct.