About the powerflex700 troubleshooting

zhoudq

Hello, I used the powerflex 700 driver,the driver via 20-comm-e with PLC (1769-L32E) communication,I use the rslogix5000 software config the driver parameters and download to the driver. the parameters are acceltime1, deceltime1,speed refasel, and commanded frequence,then I download project to the PLC, now the driver with PLC communication is ok , i test the driver,but the driver can not run(the sts light is yellow flash,the PORT,MOD,NETA LED are green, the NETB LED is green flash),the HIM is dispaly stop assertd.I use DriveExecutive software monitor the driver parameter, i find no parameter group under the communication, I don't known why ? please help me be settled the troubleshooting,thank you!

I don't know if this helps, but the manual says for a yellow flashing STS light: An inhibit condition exists, the drive cannot be started. check parameter 214 (start inhibits).

You confused me with the term use used "Driver" while it is actually VFD or variable frequency drive.
There is nothing wrong with your VFD or driver but you need to disable the following parameters below;
1. Parameter 360 to Parameter 366 - program them to a "value of 0" or "not used" since your are not using any digital input signals.
Make sure that no hardwire or software/ladder program that triggers the stop bit of the VFD.

Hello, Alan and Tamper, I check the parameters 288 and 214, the 288 parameter has Bit 00 value is 1,other Bit are 0. the 214 parameter have the Bit 04 and 08 are 1,other Bit are 0,this parameter are only read,so i don't changed.

Last edited:
You have already been given good advice but I will attempt to re-phrase it.

Parameter 288 Bit 00 = TRUE means that the STOP command is being asserted by the Digital Inputs for the drive.

The drive is probably still configured for the default 3-wire discrete input mode, for which you need to connect a normally-closed contact as the STOP command.

If you will be controlling the drive over the network only, it is customary to simply connect a jumper for this input.

The alternative is to reconfigure Discrete Input 1 so that it is "Not Used" instead of "STOP".

PowerFlex® 700 AC Drives are available in a wide range of horsepower ratings. These drives control three-phase induction motors in applications with requirements ranging from the simplest speed control to the most demanding torque control. The PowerFlex 700 AC drive offers application-specific features and parameters for lifting, oil wells, and speed and positioning applications. Available packaged drives provide additional control, power, and enclosure options in standardized designs. The PowerFlex 700 Fan and Pump packaged drive is a cost-effective solution for speed control in variable torque fan and pump applications.

Hello dondon_alba,Thank you! I do follow your propose---changed from 361 to 366 parameters to the not used ,now the powerflex700 is enable, i setup the command frequence 350HZ in the RSlogix5000 software,the driver is running, but the running frequence display is 1.4HZ, I changed the command frequence to 500Hz, the running frequence is 1.984Hz, change to 5000HZ, the running frequence is 19.84,I don't known why.how can i do be settled the troubleshooting, I looking forward your reply,Thank you for all people who help me again.

The PowerFlex 700 can be configured for Output Reference units of Hertz (Hz) or Revolutions Per Minute (RPM).

Check Parameter # 79, Speed Units, to determine which units the drive is using.

It is also very important to program the drive correctly for the number of poles and the nameplate speed of the actual motor you are using.

Older A-B drives didn't even use Hz or RPM; the speed was a 16-bit Integer between 0 and 32767 that represented the span between Min Hz and Max Hz. I don't remember if the original PowerFlex 700 Series A drives still used this convention or not.

You have to do the scaling. To run the VFD use below sample scaling;
To run @ 60Hz; 60/130*32767 = 15123 enter this as command ref to your RSLogix5000 program.
To run @ 30Hz 30/130*32767 = 7561 enter this as command ref to your RSLogix5000 program.
Use the formula above if you want to run other than 30Hz 0r 60Hz.