ac power adapter issue

khewes

Hello All,

Im pretty confident i fried my ac adapter. It is a 120vac to 24 vdc power relay, sdr-120-24. I had it hooked up to a switch with no outpu(i forgot to tighten the screws:[[[[[[[), and switched it on...it showed 115 vac for about five seconds, but now it sticks between 2 and 4 vac lol. anyone confirm that i broke it or how to fix it?

Thanks all

yes it is a power supply from mean well,

And across the input...
Hot and ground using dmm in AC V mode

can no longer produce the 115 vac tho,
I checked the outlet and the leads are fine...giving 115 vac gooood from the wall
So im def thinking it is the power supply, but that is surprising to me.
The output was empty for about five seconds and it fried my power supply? that does not seem right.

Last edited:
Something else is at play here. If your source is showing 115V where it originates, but you are not showing 115V at the terminals of the power supply, the only possibility is that the wires are not terminated to those terminals. My best guess is that you have clamped down the terminal pressure plates on the INSULATION of one of the wires, not the conductor. A stray strand or two may have been touching originally so the meter could read it with no load on it, but the moment there was a load, that tenuous connection vaporized and is now gone. That is the ONLY explanation that makes sense, because no matter WHAT is happening inside of that power supply, i.e. a PC board trace burned off, etc., the LINE TERMINALS should still show the incoming line voltage.

Also, you said
... And across the input...
Hot and ground using dmm in AC V mode

can no longer produce the 115 vac tho,...
You should never read Hot to Ground at the local site, because that depends on the integrity of your ground connection to the local site. You must read from L to N on the line terminals of the power supply, nothing else is valid.

If you wired it with only one hot lead and used ground for the Neutral, you have violated code in the US and need to redo this properly. That integrity of the ground is the very reason this is not allowed, because in a single phase system like this, the Neutral is considered a current carrying conductor, and you are not allowed to use Ground as a current carrying conductor, other than at the bonding point of the service entrance.

If none of this made sense to you, please hire a professional.

Side note:
"Meanwell" is the worst company name I've seen in a long time. "The quality isn't that good, but they Mean Well"... is what comes to mind every time I see it. Likely their company name was translated directly from Chinese.

Also, you said
You should never read Hot to Ground at the local site, because that depends on the integrity of your ground connection to the local site. You must read from L to N on the line terminals of the power supply, nothing else is valid.

If you wired it with only one hot lead and used ground for the Neutral, you have violated code in the US and need to redo this properly. That integrity of the ground is the very reason this is not allowed, because in a single phase system like this, the Neutral is considered a current carrying conductor, and you are not allowed to use Ground as a current carrying conductor, other than at the bonding point of the service entrance.

I'm an intern, pro in training ;)

yeah no, i used black as L, white as neutral, and green as ground.

and measured using dmm ground on ground, and VAC on L...is that wrong?
Let me know please so i dont wire it wrong when the project is due!

Also thanks for the detailed response. I appreciate it.

so it aint the wires being frayed or nothing. tried a different terminal block thats not a part of the mean well and installed the wires the same and i saw the 115 vac.

maybe the mean well's terminal block is junk?

tried new terminal contact and same thing. input from wall gets stepped down to about 0 vac when connected to the mean well.

super confused

def is not backfed... had a manufacturing engineer look at it who doesnt know much about electronics and he told me that...but a little research and a sit on the toilett had me realize that was def not issue.

I'm waiting on the electrical engineers to return from the floor. Ill let yall know what the issue is when they tell me.

thanks all

DEFINITELY.........DEFINITELY...................did not need to know the potty part.

Look I know its a new generation and all..........but some needs to smack that boys English teacher.

But I digress

relax john morris,
everyone can relate to the conclusions made while using the restroom.
its a very calming place to clear one's head.

Aside,
the power chord had faulty connectivity very close to the end of the hot wire. So it was good when simply plugged into wall, but when it was stretched and extended to fit into the port it lost connectivity.

That was the first thing the engineer asked if i had debugged and i was like, uhhhhhhhh. Live n learn eh.
Thanks everyone for the help. :geek:
I was stressing out for a little while there...happy FRIDAY!🍺

DEFINITELY.........DEFINITELY...................did not need to know the potty part.

Look I know its a new generation and all..........but some needs to smack that boys English teacher.

But I digress

If you are going to condemn someones English, then yours should set an example. :)