AD DL06 port 1 parity setting

At one time we had a modem that would only connect on port 1 of a few 240 CPUs. Wanting to get everything on the same page so to speek, I reconfigured the modem, and reset the CPUs without noting what thoes settings were. Dispite all my efforts last night I could not make this happen.

Options:
DL205 master with '06 slave. (big jump in cost)
All new modems and com setups. (another expense but less then above)
Two cups and a string. (cant keep string tight)
Smoke signals. (hard to see at night)
Option module for DL06 for rs232 or rs 422 comm. (like the D2-DCM)

Mike, what's your I/O look like? What cards are you using in the 06? I've been amazed a couple of times what a little creative thought could free up in the 06...

Mark,

The current design is using relay outputs & 110vac inputs, and a counter module. The slave is also all ac/relays. This was done due keep all control voltages (buttons/indicators, starters etc..) the same. We could switch to 24vdc for the buttons & indicators but it will make for more complicated field wiring. As things stand right now the I/O is maxed out. The system is intended for a large production run over a few years, and needs to be a "one size fits all" design. I expect there to be more then 100 copies produced over time. The modem is an important feature, and so is cost. Figure 100 units that'll cost us and additional 3 hundred each = $30,000.00..So I really need to solve this issue with the least cost possable.I could go with the 24volt signal system and free up a slot for Enet between the master/slave but that'll cost and extra $340.00 per system and mutaple voltages.

I'm now looking a different modems like the one Tom posted, or Multitech or maybe the AD modem. We'll see..

So are you using a D0-06AR? How many total AC inputs and relay outputs do you need on each PLC? Do both PLC's need a modem?

I understand the production run problem, we do the same thing in about the same quantities...

Over the past year I've started moving all our inputs to 24VDC and leaving out outputs at 110VAC relay, bit odd to work with at first, but everyone seems to be getting the hang of it. For the 1 input I have that must be 110VAC I just interposed a single IDEC relay...

Last edited:
Mark,

The modem only goes on the master. Basicly the slave is being used as a psudo remote I/O expansion unit. That part of it works well, and cuts field wiring and costs by a few days. Im reluctent to change back to 24 volts due to added components and complexity. I need some time to take another look at it and rethink this some. I'm bummed because everything is working so well as it is, and I hate to change it all just to fit in a modem.

For today I've got to deal with other issues....I'll be back at it later in the week though..

I am a little confused on this. You are using a DL205 and a DL06 ( or 2 DL06's?) which are networked master/slave...correct.

Why cant the master/slave be connected thru port 1...ie port 1 to port 1?

I will wait to see what you say about this before offering any other suggestions.
I take that back I will offer another thought.

Would an RS232 to RS232 adapter help?
http://www.bb-elec.com/product.asp?SKU=232BRC
The ports can be configured for baud, data bits and parity.

Last edited:
Ron,

Thanks for the link on the converter. I'll look into that.

The goal here is to link two DL06s togeather as master/slave. If I cant get around this then another possable co$tly option would be to use a 205 w/D2-DCM as the master. The data converter would be much less expensive, so would a modem w/odd parity.

Cant do a modbus or directnet network on port 1. (only as a slave). The com is setup as RS-485 also. (See page 4-47)

Additionally the run could be more then 300 ft, not good for RS 232.

I think I've pushed the DL06s flight envelope to the edge here.

Our current system uses a DL240 w/RSMS module and slice/slave for remote I/O. This allows Port 2 on the CPU for the modem. Going the way of the two DL06s cuts more the 1/2 the cost and allows for 1 voltage buss, and a lot less field work. New DL06 setup works great..just no remote comm as of yet.

Thanks again for the link. Mike

You could use a FA-ISOCON at each PLC's port 1 to get longer range (converts 232 to 485). Don't know if/how to do your comms via port 1 instead of port 2 though...

Barring any other better solutions, it seems to me that the converter is the best bet. This will allow (in theroy) me to connect to port 1 just as if I were connecting to port 2. (none parity) I could still use the same setup in our office to connect to all links (past and future installs) without further modifications.

The DL06 is a neat, powerfull and inexpensive PLC, but everything has it's limitations... This application has run up to within one inch short of the preverbal brick wall. In reality if AD were to provide an expansion rack for this PLC it would be the end of the line for the 205 and 405 (except for replacement parts), in my mind anyway. This expierance goes to show that I'll be using the 205s well into the forseeable future for larger projects. However the DL06 will be used on a vast majority of our future jobs.

This closes the book on this issue for now. I have to get the new comm hardware and play with it. I'll post the results, maybe next week.

Thanks for all the replies. And special thanks to Ron for the B&B link. (I should have thought of that, but the brain went blank in the panic)

Mike.

One last thought.
Could you use either plc port 2 as a Master and connect to the others port 1 as a slave, leaving open 1 port 2 for the modem. To extend the range the FA-ISOCON could be used. Adds about $100 to the system cost.

Ron,

In concept that seems like a good idea. The problem is this will free port 2 on the remote slave, making the comm a little more diffucult to deal with. However I might be able to make the master the remote unit. (thinking as I'm typing).

Your full of ideas today Ron...Thanks again.