AD stage programming

I suppose it is time for me to chime in... :)

Rod said:
Chapter 7, page 4 (toggle switch) has the button trigger on the 'release'. I'm sorry, but when I press the button, I expect the action to occur THEN, not upon release. (on mouse-button-down in VB)

Take JOG for instance - press button and hold down until in-position. Not press then release for action to begin! Non intuitive. Press the power-on button on a Fanuc control for instance.

Rod,

What is described in the book is for a momentary toggle switch. A jog switch does not function this way. For jogging, on one stage is the NO contact for the switch. When pressed, JMP to the next stage. In this stage is the Motor run code and an NC for the jog switch. When released, JMP back to the previous stage.

Code:
S0
| Jog                   S1   |
|-| |------------------(JMP)-|
|                            |
S1                           | 
| SP1                 Motor  |
|-| |------------------(OUT)-|
|                            |
| Jog                   S0   |
|-|/|------------------(JMP)-|

I realize that this could be done simpler using regular RLL, but this is just an example to prove the point.

As some of the other posters alluded to earlier, I rely heavily on Stage Programming. Once I understood the power that it gave me in writing sequenced code, I jumped in with both feet and use it everywhere now. It does take some getting used to, but hang in there. The time invested will be worth it. I also have talked to some of the tech support guys at AD about Stage programming and they try to stear people away from it because it does require thinking differently about how the code is laid out and thwey did not want tot have to handhold the callers through how it works. I think some of them do not fully get it either, IMHO.

Try writing some simple code in Stage format even though it may be easier to use RLL. This will give you familiarity with how it works because you are using code that you already know what the result should be.

Bob

Viva le Resistance!!

TestSubject,

Aw, You've taken the fun out of it with the perfect answer.

Now I have to build a complete back-gage program to test my understanding of Stage.

I agree that stage is a mid-level programmer's tool. I'll be using it.

Thanks,
Rod (The CNC dude)

I realize this is a SUPER old thread, but I'm a noob to PLC's and stage programming, and I think this is the right place to ask.

I'm about to program a PLC that controls a series of conveyer belts that are turned on individually as needed to propel a box across the series. When it gets to the end of the conveyer series it comes to a juncture that sends items off in various directions.

My question is: I can't decide if I should have one stage for each piece of conveyer that makes up the series....or if I should have one stage for the MOVING action and one stage for the IDLE action in the series, and just loop through those.

Thoughts??

suggestion:

write down each STEP in the process in pseudo-code ...

1. "loading" piston releases
2. box moves forward
3. photo eye sees box
4. diverter arm moves out
5. box diverts to left
6. etc.
7. etc.

now make (and COMMENT) a stage for each one of those "action" steps – then program the transitions between the stages – and the actions (outputs) needed within each stage/step ...

be sure to realize that you can have MORE THAN ONE "train" of stages/steps active simultaneously ... basically your Initial Stage would have three or four JUMPS – each jump going to the first stage in each train ...

this old thread might help with some basic ideas ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=41722&postcount=15

and welcome to the forum ...

suggestion:

write down each STEP in the process in pseudo-code ...

1. "loading" piston releases
2. box moves forward
3. photo eye sees box
4. diverter arm moves out
5. box diverts to left
6. etc.
7. etc.

now make (and COMMENT) a stage for each one of those "action" steps – then program the transitions between the stages – and the actions (outputs) needed within each stage/step ...

be sure to realize that you can have MORE THAN ONE "train" of stages/steps active simultaneously ... basically your Initial Stage would have three or four JUMPS – each jump going to the first stage in each train ...

this old thread might help with some basic ideas ...

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?p=41722&postcount=15

and welcome to the forum ...

Thanks! This was very helpful. I already had an initial stage set up with a few jumps in it, so I'm glad to know I'm on the right track!