Ads.ocx

yasirbc

I've written some data collection applications in VB for AB Platform. I'm trying to convert it to work with Twincat PLC.

I installed the trial version on a couple of machines. I'm able to read variables off the local machine in VB but am not able to connect to the Remote Machine. When i do the scan both machines see each other. Has anyone worked with ADS.OCX. In the properties of the ADSOCX1, in the ADS Server Tab the the server status gets updates if i place a local NEDID but doesnt work with a remote one. I'm using Port 801 for both. Is there something that i'm missing

Thanks

yasirbc said:
I've written some data collection applications in VB for AB Platform. I'm trying to convert it to work with Twincat PLC.

I installed the trial version on a couple of machines. I'm able to read variables off the local machine in VB but am not able to connect to the Remote Machine. When i do the scan both machines see each other. Has anyone worked with ADS.OCX. In the properties of the ADSOCX1, in the ADS Server Tab the the server status gets updates if i place a local NEDID but doesnt work with a remote one. I'm using Port 801 for both. Is there something that i'm missing

Thanks
moz-screenshot.jpg
Actually do you have the ams router installed on both PC's..ie. do you have some version of TwinCAT installed on both ends?

yasirbc said:
When i do the scan both machines see each other. Has anyone worked with ADS.OCX.
I've done a lot of work with ADS including some reverse engineering of the protocol to get communications working with remote machines.

In order for two machines with TwinCAT communicating, they both have to be in each other's router table. If one machine does not have TwinCAT installed, then there are some registry settings that correlate the AMS Net ID to the machine name or IP address.

The easiest way is to have TwinCAT on both machines and use the System Manager to do a broadcast search and "Add Route". If the communication is successful, then you will see an "X" in the connected column.

I can't remember for sure, but I think the default Windows XP firewall will block ADS communications.