Advanced Control - Tank Level Control

Yes, it does, because you are inferring the overall tank volume via surface area. The only variable that you aren't accounting for by doing so is hydraulic head.
This makes a big difference if the pump is controlling the in-flow and the fluid is flowing out through and orifice or valve but when the pump is controlling the out flow flow the head doesn't make that much difference.

This is one reason I go nuts each time I see a tank level control and the OP doesn't state if the pump is controlling the in-flow or out-flow.

Osmanmon's earlier question about why does a tank have a gain is a good one as we shall see in my next post. The area of the tank IS necessary but if doesn't affect the steady state level, just the time constant or response.

So far I have kept it simple

Again, assume the pump is controlling the out flow. We know the SP will be achieved easily if there are no disturbances. Now a disturbance is added by adding a constant inflow of fluid. In this case the P only controller will not be able to reduce the error to 0. Our gut should tell us there will be an error proportional to the in-flow, Qin. What is the formula for the steady state error using the symbols in post #13. Tomorrow I will show the answer using wxMaxima.

This is a very simple problem but if you have error tolerances it is nice to know this equations so you can choose a value for Kc that will not let the level get too high. The fluid may over flow the tank if Kc is too low. As a designer you need to know how deep to design the tank to handle extreme conditions.

I know I didn't supply numbers. The answer should be symbolic.

wxMaxima is free. I will post the code so down load wxMaxima if you want to play along.

C'mon guys! This should be simple. Again, at steady state in-flow=outflow so
Qin=Qout but Qout is error*Kp so
Qin=Kc*error*Kp
So
error=Qin/(Kp*Kc).

Now apply numbers
Qin=1 m^3/min
Kp=0.01 m^3/min/% ; one cubic meter per minute per % control output
Kc = 100% / m ; 100 % control output per meter of error.

error=1 m^3/min/(100%/m*0.01 m^3/min/%)=1 m.
Now you can change the numbers around for different examples.

Basically the proportional band is 1 meter.

Due to a lack of interest I am not going to pursue this topic any further unless there are questions.
I have a bunch of simulations done for one and two tanks.
http://deltamotion.com/peter/Mathcad/TwoTanks/

I concentrated on two tanks because that is more interesting ( difficult ). Also, I didn't bother with controlling tanks levels when the pump controls the out-flow because that is trivial.

If you are interested you will have to download the pdf files and look for the simple ones first and then look for the more difficult ones.

My general approach is to first write the differential equations. You don't understand the system until you can do that. I would give no student a passing grade without being able to write the differential equations.

At first I use the concept of time constants however, there are no real time constants in tank level control. Instead you must think of the instantaneous time 'constant' which is the something divided by the rate of change something. In this case it is the level divided by the rate of change in the level. The time 'constant' can and will vary in many applications and it will in tank level control because the flow through the valve or orifice on the output is not proportional to the level/pressure and the area of the tank may also change. These are all things that I don't see mentioned in the discussions here but they are real problems. Obviously the controller gains must change as the time constant or the gain changes yet no one considers that. Eventually I had to substitute flows and tank areas as a function of level for the time 'constants'.

In my more extreme examples I show how to change the controller gains on-the-fly as the level changes due to level set point changes, tank area changes and external water being poured into the tanks. Yes, this is extreme overkill for this application but the techniques are valid and should be mastered so can be applied to more difficult applications.

Sure you can get by without knowing all of this but if you are designing a system you need to be able to simulate the design and how it will be controlled. You need to know how tall to make the tanks so they don't overflow.

I made these for a student that had this problem as a class project. His teacher didn't even know if the level in the second tank can be controlled. His teacher wasn't qualified to teach the class in my opinion. Many suggested very simple solutions that would have worked but that isn't the point. You don't go to college just to tweak gains. A monkey can do that. You go to college to learn advanced techniques on simple systems so these techniques can be applied on more complicated systems in the future.

If you have questions ask but I will not try to make a series of lessons out of this topic.

Not bad for not pursuing. But must admit it would be interesting to see how long you would explain when you are pursuing. People must be pretty dumb if they can't understand those number thingies/squiggles you wrote. Another well explained example. Another one going in to the knowledge Files.
Thanks Peter

Thanks for the PDF docs, I am very interested in keeping this going, but had trouble understanding the formulas in the non formatted notation you are forced to use typing on the forum.

Please keep it coming and thank you!

Hi Peter

I was watching with interest, but being no mathematician, found my eyes glazing over with the calculations... (suspect from the post count, others too...)

I did notice you started referring to "rate of change" in your latter posts, which is my default method of controlling a level if the load varies wildly. It works very well in practice, but am interested to know from a theoretical perspective if I should be doing it differently?.