Advice needed for learning how to properly write plc code for machine control

There's a million ways to skin that cat... But a good one will be well planned in advance.

Write it down... every step. Flowchart, logical progressions (states), etc. Then detail each of the steps. By the time you get done, the program will write itself.

I'd also take some time, before beginning to plan the project, to review each of the instructions that your PLC offers. Learn at minimum the general idea of each of the instructions so you have an idea of what all the neat gadgets and tools in your box do.

I spend a lot of time looking at other fellas work, but it's a mixed bag. Some guys know their stuff and some know just enough to make it work...

SilverLoop said:
if someone were to put together a compilation of small projects into a book, i am sure that would be of interest to a lot of people. what i mean is something like a "plc project cookbook" that would show a couple of small projects and how to proper build them from beginning to end.

I like the idea of a small projects cookbook - it would deflect a lot of the "can someone give me traffic light code" posts that turn up in waves here from time to time! Perhaps something like a wiki, where people can contribute snippets? Not that people shouldn't learn by doing it themselves, but you can learn by reading examples as well (especially if they are real life examples).

Good Idea SilverLoop

That is a great Idea on the "cook book". specially if it relates to different PLCs and manufacturers. My company works strictly with Allen Bradely PLCs. however I have recenly bought (for home learning) a midacon plc. There are some real nice features on that PLC that the bradely plcs do not have. If I ever found the necessity to program or trouble shoot a Seimens PLC I know that I would have the understanding of a toddler, not to mention the different network protocals that each manufacturer usses. I have allot of respect for the knowlege here I have used this Forum many times. The information and knowlege here is far supperior to any help page I have ever encountered.