Advice needed please

IdealDan

Hi
I'm immensely glad to be here with wonderful people like you all.
I'm new in this interesting field but I need an advice.
I'm a young Chemical Engr. I have serious passion for PLC programming. When I check for recruitment info about PLC jobs, employers only needs PLC programmer with Electrical/Elctronics Engineering background. This put fear in me that I may experience rejections in near future when I go for interview with guys having Elect/Electronics Background. Though I have 6yrs Auto electrical/Diagnostic experience as I have been doing it for a living since I left High Institution due to unemployment. I NEED INDUSTRY-BASED ADVICE ON THIS PLEASE
I’LL BE GRATEFUL

Last edited:
It completely depends on the employer.

If you have the skills required, write up your resume to reflect what you are capable of.

If, and when you go to an interview, a technical discussion with the employer should show your merits.

As a Chem E, you have a leg up on most in a niche area of control systems, which would be process automation. Programmers that can understand a PLC can be found almost anywhere. However finding a programmer that can look - listen - feel - etc. a process and understand what it is or isn't doing and/or what it needs to do and then relate that to a PLC - that programmer is worth his weight in gold. In your interviews you can use your expertise with automation but then also be able to explain how you helped the processes. I would doubt any employer would not be impressed with this. I wish you luck on your interviews.