Again 1734-AENTR/B Point Bus Status Flashing RED

deanhuynh

Hi all,

I definitely know this is common problem and there are many threads about it and I did read them several time using "search" tool. Also I did read through the manual from RA as well and still scratching my head after 2 days playing around.

So the problem I am having is when I try to set static IP for a brand new 1734-AENTR/B using BootP-DHCP tool following steps:
1. Set thumb wheels to 888 to reset factory setting to allow DHCP boot.
2. Use DHCP tool to set IP static to 192.168.10.201 and successfully disable it so static IP can be set to EPROM.
3. Set thumb wheels to 999 (an invalid IP for 192.168.1.xxx) so the module can get IP from EPROM.
4. Successfully using web browser to connect to device to check the IP address by typing 192.168.10.201 to address bar and confirm that IP is static and right.
5. Connect with RSlinx and double check that RSlinx can see module.

However, all of those meaningless so far because I always get Point Bus Status light flashing Red and in my PLC project the module can't be connected and I/O is not responding with error code 16#0010.
I did confirm chassis size is match in web browser and in project PLC (i've tried both with original 1 (only the module) and 2 when i attached 1 more card in - both make no difference).

Any recommendation would be appreciated gents !

Did you cycle power after you set the IP address? Last new I setup got the same error and I power cycled the adapter and all was well. Pay attention to your point IO configuration, the shop swapped two cards on me and I didn't realize my PLC hardware tree didn't match so I had issues until I got that sorted.

I set my IP a bit different, I set the initial IP address using bootp. I then go to RSLinx and set the adapter to static. I've had issues in the past with bootp and the adapter losing the IP after a power cycle and I've found setting it to static in RSLinx to be the most reliable.

Power cycle after that to verify the IP stuck and you should be good. Another note, you can also set the chassis size from RSLinx too.

Thanks Pally for your reply!

I did try your recommendation and yes I can confirm that the IP address is all good and checked.

I wonder why as soon as I set IP address and recycle the power the Point Bus just come flashing red immediately (doesn't matter if i connect to PLC or not). From what i understand is that this mean the chassis is not good (might not related to IP setting?). I also set the chassis size in RSlinx and tried with 1 (just the card itself still come out with error).

Shot in the dark here...:D
You might need to acquire and install the AOP for the Point I/O EIP adapter(matching the exact firmware level)...You'd think it would be part of the RSL5K/Studio5K package, however, I've had to do it several times in the past... Probably another manufacturer than the RA ' mainstream' ones.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

The IP address and the POINTBus status are separate issues.

If the module correctly powers up with the NVRAM-stored IP, then that's fine.

The issue is very probably the Chassis Size; a flashing red POINTBus status indicator and the 0x0010 error code are consistent with the module's setting and the Studio 5000 setting being mismatched.

Check the physical installation of your POINT modules and terminal bases carefully. If there's a cap or cover on the right side, remove it.

Verify that the POINT chassis size in the Web browser interface is the number of modules +1. Don't bother setting it to "1" and having no modules; that's not a valid configuration.

Verify that your Studio 5000 project contains the same POINT chassis size setting.

It's possible this is an AOP profile mismatch; when new firmware comes out you often have to load an AOP to match it. Look at your Studio 5000 general properties for the 1734-AENT, and match it against what the module reports in RSLinx or the Web interface.

Shot in the dark here...:D
You might need to acquire and install the AOP for the Point I/O EIP adapter(matching the exact firmware level)...You'd think it would be part of the RSL5K/Studio5K package, however, I've had to do it several times in the past... Probably another manufacturer than the RA ' mainstream' ones.

Thanks for the response, I did check the AOP and all good.

Welcome to the PLCTalk forum community !

The IP address and the POINTBus status are separate issues.

If the module correctly powers up with the NVRAM-stored IP, then that's fine.

The issue is very probably the Chassis Size; a flashing red POINTBus status indicator and the 0x0010 error code are consistent with the module's setting and the Studio 5000 setting being mismatched.

Check the physical installation of your POINT modules and terminal bases carefully. If there's a cap or cover on the right side, remove it.

Verify that the POINT chassis size in the Web browser interface is the number of modules +1. Don't bother setting it to "1" and having no modules; that's not a valid configuration.

Verify that your Studio 5000 project contains the same POINT chassis size setting.

It's possible this is an AOP profile mismatch; when new firmware comes out you often have to load an AOP to match it. Look at your Studio 5000 general properties for the 1734-AENT, and match it against what the module reports in RSLinx or the Web interface.

Thanks Ken for the response, I did read through lot of your posts about this module and again you save the day.
Problem that i got is first trying to set chassis at 1 as you mentioned it's not a valid setting (i swear i didn't see this mentioned in the manual or i missed it?) should be much easier for RA to mention that the valid chassis settings should be 2+.
I get the IB8 module and attach to 1734-AENT/R then make sure chassis set to 2 then "green light" on :D.

Thank you very much gents !

I think most of Ken's good advice can be found in the follow technote...

43161 - 1734/1738 communication adapters: Error 16#0010 with POINTBus Status LED Blinking Red
Access Level: TechConnect

At the beginning of the list of possible causes for the OP's specific error they mention the possibility that...

technote 43161 said:
...The covering on the 1734-AENT adapter's end cap has not been removed...

That statement is not technically correct. Out-of-the-box the 1734-AENT(R) has a "safety end cap" fitted to the right hand side to cover the "backplane and power interconnections". There is no "covering" on the "end cap" itself. The end cap is the cover, or covering. By my reckoning, it should state...

...The safety end cap on the 1734-AENT adapter's backplane and power interconnections has not been removed...

As we now all know, and although the adapter consumes 1 slot, when used on its own it does not constitute a valid POINT I/O chassis configuration. At least one other slot consuming module must be added to create a 2 slot minimum chassis configuration. As such, the safety end cap is never intended to be left fitted to the adapter once it is being put into service. So we must first remove it before adding the first module to the right hand side. It may seem incredulous to some here that someone might not remove it and simply fit the first module onto the din rail immediately after the cover i.e. not slide the module onto the adapter's interconnections properly. But it does obviously happen.

The real reason the safety end cap comes with the adapter is so it is available, after its removal, to safety end cap the last module to the right of the adapter. To state the somewhat obvious, this is to protect the exposed interconnections on the last module from foreign interference, etc. This end cap is simply a piece of plastic and does not need to be fitted to the right hand side to terminate the backplane. It has no onboard circuitry, similar to the CompactLogix 1769-ECR (End Cap Right) which must be fitted to properly terminate the 1769 backplane.

Also just to add, as the safety end cap comes with the communications adapters, which will always be present on a POINT I/O chassis, there is no need to also supply a safety end cap with each POINT I/O module we purchase. So they obviously do not. Or not with any I've purchased?

So, on a new install, the only module you need to make sure the "covering" (end cap) is removed from is the communications adapter. Or on an existing install, it must be removed from the right-most module, if adding additional modules.

But, as a good practice, I would advise that the safety end cap always be refitted to the right hand side of the right-most POINT I/O module.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
1734 AENT 16#0010 Fault

Just had this fault come up after replacing the 1734 AENT card. This card was connected to 7 I/O cards thus set up as a 7 slot bus. Problem turned out to be a bad I/K card in slot 4. I think it was preventing the 1734 AENT card from seeing all the I/O cards so it thought it was not a 7 slot bus. Replaced the faulty card and fault cleared.

All good advice.
We recently had an issue where some new I/O cards will not work with series "B" AENT
& we had to special order series "C" with the help distributor intervention.
Series "C" have recently started shipping
This is an issue as we now have 2 programs for the 2 different PLC hardware revisions for our machines.
I think I can give them 2 different IP addresses in the same program & when one or the other IP address is detected it can automatically inhibit the unused one & map the used I/O to the proper places.
It is always something...