alias RSLogix 5000

bernie_carlton said:
I'm at home right now, no access to RSLogix500 but I'll try. Right click on the alias name (it looks like 'Double100' - the arrow is covering part). You should get a list of things which has, at the top, 'New' and the alias name. Click on that. In the opened box you can assign which portion of the program this alias belongs to ('controller' if you want an HMI to be able to see it) and a window where you can brouse to items in your controller. When you find it then select it then accept the alias assignment.

Bernie, Call me crazy but. When I right click on "Trouble100" the fields are as such " edit trouble Properties" "Find all Trouble100" etc. there is no New, when I go to edit trouble properties this is what I get.

logix15.jpg

now if I check Alias this is what I get

logix2.jpg

and of course the end result is <??>

I've been back and forth so many times I am all messed up...

GRRRRRR!!!!!

Last edited:
Here are some screenshots.
The first is an alias pointing to a tagname that has not been defined.
The seconds pic show the tag database.
The third pic shows the tag database with tagname Drivefault defined which is what the alias tagname is pointing to.
The forth pic shows the logic with question marks gone.

Kim

bkottaras said:
Go into it a bit further.
Find a legit tag (I/O point)
You'll lose the <??>

Ok, lets back up... I am trying to use like an internal type bit that does not tie to an actual I/O address. like B3:1/1 so that I can use it through out my logic. again this is based off RS500 since that is what I am most familiar with. I see this through out the program already just not sure how to do it in 5000. am I losing you guys? I tend to do that sometimes. I am going to try a test program from fresh maybe that will enlighten me.

Ok, If I create a new program it allows me to alias with no problems.

logix.jpg

Why can I not do that in an exsiting program?
Man you guys must think I'm an idiot.

Last edited:
AGENTTINFOIL said:
Ok, lets back up... I am trying to use like an internal type bit that does not tie to an actual I/O address. like B3:1/1 so that I can use it through out my logic. again this is based off RS500 since that is what I am most familiar with. I see this through out the program already just not sure how to do it in 5000. am I losing you guys? I tend to do that sometimes. I am going to try a test program from fresh maybe that will enlighten me.

Define your so called "internal bit" as a BOOL. You must create a new tag, make it controller scope.
Then, create an alias with "whatever" name that ties to "internal bit"
You'll lose the <??> if you do it right.
Same principle with actual I/O points, create an alias so it is easily recognizable by description instead of <local.x.data.x>

I figured it out, I had to go to Program tags - Edit tags and from there I was able to add the tags that I wanted and also the Alias.

Thanks for all your help, I know it was painfull and you all must have been cursing me.

Thanks again

Travis

Remember what I mentioned earlier in this thread. An alias is a new tag that points to an existing tag. The purpose (ok, one purpose) is to allow you a meaningful name for your I/O.

If you want an internal tag equivalent to B3:1/1 then there is NO NEED for an alias. Simply create the BOOL tag using whatever name you require.

The question marks you were getting I beleive you have discovered were due to an alias pointing to a nonexistent tag

Also, you might want to read up a little on the difference between Program tags and Controller tags.

OG

OG,

Thank you for your help, that answers my question exactly. Sometimes its the simple things that get me. I tend to over analyze and it gets me into trouble every time. you would think that I would learn by now.

Thanks again

alias

Help, programing in RSLogix5000 first time

I create user defined data type. Example:

Motor

and Motor have this data

Motor_start (BOOL)
Motor_stop (BOOL)
Motor_speed (INT)

and I go to Tag editor and create tag M515 with data type Motor

Now I have

M515 with (on +)

M515.Motor_start
M515.Motor_stop
M515.Motor_speed

Super, but there is a problem. I want to input Local:2:I.Data[1].0 like Alias for M515.Motor_start but I can not. Same for others tags.

I find in manual 1756-PM0001 on page 53 (Assign an Alias) that is possible, but... In manual says - The cell display a t. There is no a t.

Sorry for my english. Thanks

Are you shure?

What present text and pictures on page 53 in manual 1756-PM0001I-EN-P january 2007. (Organizing tags/Assign an Alias)?

What is it about letter t in cell?

Can you explain that? Sorry, but I want to know.

I believe the 't' is referring to the drop down menu down arrow that appears in the alias cell.

I am sure that you cannot assign an alias to complex data like UDT's and Arrays. You have to create the individual tags and alias them to the I/O.

You can alias an individual bool for example to a bit in an array etc, but not the other way around.

EDIT:

If you have created a UDT as you say and called it Motor, then created a symbol M515 and made it a type Motor, when you expand, the alias part is greyed out.

If you decide to alias the M515 itself, it will change the data format from your UDT to whatever you have aliased it to.

So you cannot create a UDT then alias the symbol created with that to your I/O.

Last edited: