Allen Bradley: Cannot find 1794-AENTR in catalog to add to backplane

SST

First of all, I'm new to Allen Bradley. Have almost exclusively worked with Siemens before.

I'm trying to add a new IO station to the my backplane, but I cannot find the 1794-AENTR Flex IO module in the hardware catalog.

hfx7ZGS.png

I have installed the EDS for that module, but as I understand that's only for RSLink network discovery?
I have downloaded and installed the Add on profile package
"AOP_Bundle_Studio_5000_LD_V10.01-V30.00.zip" from Rockwell, which should include that module. But still nothing.

Is it a version problem? My PLC is set to software version 19.

95w5ul4.png

My RSLogix 5000 is version 19.01.

xT055I1.png

I have just started here. And there has been no one in charge of maintaining PLCs in any structured way. Software or documentation.
So I have my job cut out for me. I'm going to get software updated, as soon as I'm more experienced with Allen Bradly.
But for now I'm just trying to get this IO station added to the system.

Anyone got any ideas?

Welcome to the Forum, and thanks for the detailed question - information helps....

found this in Rockwell knowledgebase...
The 1794-AENTR dual port DLR capable module is available as a Communication modules selection in RSLogix5000 v.20 (or higher).

you may struggle with V19....

also this....

Question
Is there an Add-On-Profile (AOP) for the 1794-AENTR?
Answer
No, there is no Add-On-Profile (AOP) for the 1794-AENTR

Which software/firmware versions do I need to use the AOP for the 1794-AENTR or 1794-AENTRXT?

Environment
RSLogix 5000 Version 20 or higher
RSLinx Version 2.59 or higher

Yes, you need to updated to V20 or Higher

Oh I misunderstood what you meant. I thought that you were suggesting that I could download an addon profile that way.

I have version 20.01 installed. But I'll have to switch the software version supported in the PLC.

This PLC is running a massive and critical system, so I won't do this, until I know more about Allen Bradley PLCs.

This my be my excuse to force the company to start dividing the system into several smaller PLCs instead of one massive one. We already have issues with the load and intermittent "Major faults" from a device net node because of response time.

This PLC is running a massive and critical system, so I won't do this, until I know more about Allen Bradley PLCs.

You should grab a spare L7# and flash the firmware up to v20 and then put the program in it. (This would allow you to quickly swap the PLCs and bring the system back up fairly quick, and also allow you to switch back if something goes wrong.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCalderwood View Post
which gives you this.......V19 not compatible
Where is that screenshot from? Seems very handy!

I clicked on the link
when I searched for 1794-AENTR, then selected a download option, it then tells you what versions it is compatible with...

Yes as VAN says, your next steps are :
1) Do not use V20.01 - there are issues with that (search the forums here for the reasons). Download V20.04 from Rockwell (your valid serial number will let you do this).
2) get hold of a spare 1756-L73 (hopefully you have one), get it in a spare rack in a workshop/office with power supply and Ethernet card. Save your running program.
Connect to your PLC, if it is new, it will prompt you for a firmware version, take one that has V20.XX on it. Update the firmware. Load on your running program, and save it as is. Add your 1794-AENTR and I/O Modules to the configuration. Save a new version of the PLC program.
You may even be able to setup the PLC with the USB connection, and save you the ethernet card....
3) next opportunity you get (or request one), have the process stopped for what should be a short time. Power down the main PLC rack, take out the existing processor, and replace it with the new processor. Power back up, ensure your laptop can communicate with the PLC. Check all is healthy (no red lights...) and put the PLC into run mode...
4) your 1794-AENTR will not be active, until you connect it up and configure it with the correct IP Address. This can be done while the process is running...if you are brave....or you could have it all configured ready to connect for when you change over the PLC.

Sounds straightforward...it actually is.......

Last edited:
Oh I misunderstood what you meant. I thought that you were suggesting that I could download an addon profile that way.

I have version 20.01 installed. But I'll have to switch the software version supported in the PLC.

This my be my excuse to force the company to start dividing the system into several smaller PLCs instead of one massive one. We already have issues with the load and intermittent "Major faults" from a device net node because of response time.

Also try and get a hold of 20.04, 20.01 has a security issue.

Or you could just install a 1794-AENT which you should be able to do in version 19 and at a later date when production allows upgrade to at least version 20.04
and change to the 1794-AENTR.

Is there a reason that you are wanting to install the 1794-AENTR, is it because you have one or are wanting to use the DLR capabilities of the 1794-AENTR.

Alan.

You should grab a spare L7# and flash the firmware up to v20 and then put the program in it. (This would allow you to quickly swap the PLCs and bring the system back up fairly quick, and also allow you to switch back if something goes wrong.)

That's a great idea.

I'm hoping to divide the system into smaller independent systems, with their own smaller model PLC.

Then having a spare or two laying around would be no problem. Actually it would be good practice.