Allen Bradley lost line of code

just a guess ...

someone accidentally hit the Delete key while the cursor (big red block) was located on the mystery rung's rung number (left margin) ...

the someone didn't notice the "D" letters which popped up – indicating that the rung had been marked for "deletion" ...

someone went on about their business ...

somewhere along the line (possibly MUCH later) someone did an "Assemble" operation – as part of another (unrelated) "edit" operation ... that's when the rung vanished ...

like I said, this is just a guess – but I'd bet slightly more than pocket-change that's what happened ...

Last edited:
Could be I guess, but the problem is the issue happened while I was on line and I didn't hit the assemble button I just went on and off line so I fail to see how a delete instruction got applied.

most likely the rung was missing prior to you going online. you had just not seen the results of it . Its hard to tell without seeing the code.

Rungs don't disappear without triggering a checksum fault, the CPU will chit its pants and go red...at least with every a/b cpu I've worked with.

Rungs do disappear when you inadvertently mark a rung for deletion, especially if you use the windows scroll bars, leaving the rung marker cursor somewhere off the visible screen, then later click a delete menu item or the delete key by mistake... subsequently followed by known and intended edits made by anyone at any time. Once assembled that rung that was accidentally marked for deletion goes poof, bye bye forever too (except in your backups).

This is why it's real important to check the state of the edits in a processor before you begin any online edits. You want to know about any EDITS EXISTing...

Last edited:
There is a habit you must develop when you go online.

Learn to look at the top left hand corner of your software when you go online and see if it says EDITS EXIST. Do this first and immediately after you go online. Make it a habit.

Its very easy for someone to be online and mark a rung for deletion. Then go offline. Next guy comes along and goes online and goes somewhere else in the program and makes an edit. Then when he compiles those edits the previously rung marked for deletion get compiled into oblivion.

Learn it. Drill it into your guys.

Last edited:
Rungs don't disappear without triggering a checksum fault, the CPU will chit its pants and go red...at least with every a/b cpu I've worked with.

Rungs do disappear when you inadvertently mark a rung for deletion, especially if you use the windows scroll bars, leaving the rung marker cursor somewhere off the visible screen, then later click a delete menu item or the delete key by mistake...later on, you make other edits and assemble them all including the deletion.

That must be what happened one of us must have marked it for deletion.

The only other option is some one from production was messing with the laptop while I wasn't looking and I can't believe one of the lads would do that.

There is a habit you must develop when you go online.

Learn to look at the top left hand corner of your software when you go online and see if it says EDITS EXIST.

Its very easy for someone to be online and mark a rung for deletion. Then go offline. Next guy comes along and goes online and goes somewhere else in the program and makes an edit. Then when he compiles those edits the previously rung marked for deletion get compiled into oblivion.

Learn it. Drill it into your guys.

Our policy is never leave an online edit ,it must be compiled and saved NEVER left on line.

But having said that this has happened so we'll have to add check for edits.