Allen Bradley or Schneider???

Yeah, that would be cool too. They might like that since the software's free, but they also might say it's "too cheap".

OT: First time ever a few weeks ago I ordered a 400 amp contactor for a project from A/D (Fuji) and it was only like $580, so they made me switch to a/b and pay 3 times that much. The boss thought that the Fuji was too cheap so it must not be any good. . .(n)

okie, I too would go the ab or at least a good nema not iec rated for heavy industrial contactors I am not a big fan of fuji some things are a GOOD DEAL and some things are CHEAP! nothing to do with the price

Okie the Omron i/face is slightly different to AB but once you get used to it it is easy and you will like it as well.
easy plc to work with there are a few differences in the older range.
but stick with the new range - std usb cable to program.

Okie, it is like any PLC on the market - there is good and bad with any brand. I just find the good outweighs the bad by miles and easy and quick. There are certainly some quirks with every brand as well. I have just been struggling with an RTD input card that is made in Europe. The manual was less than helpful. I have asked Omron to put together a help sheet for setting the thing up. Got it working back took me hours when normally it is pretty quick.
By the way, I gave the Twido away a long time ago due to the software - hardware was OK although function set is limited.. Good little PLC - not sure if the software is better as I have not looked since. I understand that it is better and will have a look at it over Xmas when I have 5 minutes.
Basically, these days I cannot use anything that does not have real floating point maths that can be written in ladder - not FBs. I have to consider my customers and they would really struggle trying to sort out FBs - particularly ST insi8de an FB. I would like to use ST for floating point - much easier - but wouyld spend half my life on the phone trying to explain things to my customers.

Last edited:
I think the problem here is, as programmers, we are born and raised with certain bunches of software at our fingertips. Some we use more than others.

Its those little quirks which can make or break a decision sometimes.

I mean there are plenty of quirks and issues with AB software but people continue to deploy it in the field because of the positives.

I was raised with AB Logix 5,500,5000 and all the HMI end so I know full well what a brute it can be. I am just about to start working on Siemens S7 stuff so that will be a good comparison. I can see already that the Siemens S7 Simatic HMI software is superior to FactoryTalk View but in time it will reveal itself a little more maybe.

This thread can go on till the guru's come home but the plain fact is - choose what works best for your application. Certain bits of kit may be integrated into existing and will need new drives etc. Manufacturers like all their gear bunched for best efficiency AB PLC > AB Drive etc.

I think the problem here is, as programmers, we are born and raised with certain bunches of software at our fingertips. Some we use more than others.

Its those little quirks which can make or break a decision sometimes.

I mean there are plenty of quirks and issues with AB software but people continue to deploy it in the field because of the positives.

I was raised with AB Logix 5,500,5000 and all the HMI end so I know full well what a brute it can be. I am just about to start working on Siemens S7 stuff so that will be a good comparison. I can see already that the Siemens S7 Simatic HMI software is superior to FactoryTalk View but in time it will reveal itself a little more maybe.

This thread can go on till the guru's come home but the plain fact is - choose what works best for your application. Certain bits of kit may be integrated into existing and will need new drives etc. Manufacturers like all their gear bunched for best efficiency AB PLC > AB Drive etc.

Hey Chris,
You may have been raised on software - some of us were raised on Relay Logic. then mneumonics.
DOS Programs came later but then LAPTOPS were nonexistant or as big as a desktop with a 8" screen
i am an electrician

Then you would not come under the programmer bracket unless you had worked on software! 8o)

I also started on the basics, and enjoy panel building as much as software but nowadays I work at a desk producing software for PLC,PAC and HMI's.

Anybody who works on a PLC should have a good understanding of electric and C&I.

Some gear I used to use was a wall of lights with sheets that you offered up to the wall and turned a handle to change the lights to the sheet you were using lol.

Good times!

Hey Chris,
You may have been raised on software - some of us were raised on Relay Logic. then mneumonics.
DOS Programs came later but then LAPTOPS were nonexistant or as big as a desktop with a 8" screen
i am an electrician

Ah, the "good old days". And ink on cloth for drawings. Glad we've evolved lol.

don't forget the pencils and mylar and erasors
All fun
I'm not dead yet @ 53

Good one, James.

I would look ask the following:
1. Who is the local distributor for each and how far are they from the plant?
2. What is their inventory like?
3. How is their tech support?
4. Are they there for you if there is a problem or do they have a don't care attitude once the sale is made?
5. WHAT WILL TECH SUPPORT COST PER YEAR?

answers to questions like that go a long way in making a decision
regards,
james

o_O

I think the Logix platform with AB is pretty hard to beat. I also like the AB flex and point I/O. On most installations we can use Ethernet I/P links and it keeps it simple for startup and client maintenance. The rest of the AB line you can keep. Their drives are twice the cost of the Altivar drives previously mentioned. Though the support/documentation getting the Altivars going on Ethernet I/P was non existent. SCADA and HMI's offered by Rockwell are high priced and buggy. Yes you pay through the nose for support, but it generally is decent. Of course I will be going through chest pains when the Toolkit bill comes in soon. We pay for Wonderware and had to wait two days while the support guys were in training to get our answer. Figured it out by then. I must say, I would like to see connectivity to all the different networks mentioned above. I would even settle for Ethernet I/P, Modbus TCP and ProfiNet on the ethernet port. I dont have much experience with Modicon, but all the groaning I hear coming from the next room when someone has to work with it tells me its not something I want to experiment with. All said, I would recommend looking for a 'team' of best of for your upgrade. Nice thing about PLC's and their connectivity is the ability to mix and match with what works.

When you make your selections, dont forget to take into account the other support factors. If you need outside help, will the platform you select limit significantly your choices or as with AB in North America does everybody pretty much support it.

Hey Chris,
i am an electrician

Ha that's funny iant! I remember early on going to a startup with my desktop computer complete with CRT. And of course there were the places that had bought the programming terminals setup permanently in the MCC rooom. Yeah I dont really miss that...

my early days at Toyota Australia we had 2 8086 PC's with Lotus
for the 30 staff that worked there - no electrical help at all.