Allen Bradley or Schneider???

you know Odd;y enough I am working at a company that has a full compliment of AB equipment - totally networked.
Robotics - SAP interface - all programmable from the one PC in the switchroom.
We're back in the switch room.

Can you narrow down which Schneider products you have installed ?

Groupe Schneider's long acquisition and history path means that you could be looking at a Square-D SyMax or a Modicon 984 or even a Telemechanique Premium.

I've done some interesting Modicon to A-B conversions for low-downtime systems in which we retained the I/O hardware. It depends on how old yours is and how much downtime costs.

Another consideration is to see what's being taught at your local vocational school. In my area, vendors fall over themselves to give hardware to Perry Technical Institute so that they have an advantage in the local labor pool.

We are using pretty new stuff - Quantum and M340's but I worry about the longevity of them and I can't get a straight answer out of Schneider either way.....

you know Odd;y enough I am working at a company that has a full compliment of AB equipment - totally networked.
Robotics - SAP interface - all programmable from the one PC in the switchroom.
We're back in the switch room.
Funny how things have come back around isnt it? Used to be everything was connected to some central computer then we went distributed and now we are heading back to the central computer.

Fantastic Response Guys 🍻
I have a lot to think about - I have lots of experience with AB and it would be my natural choice... IU think after the comments that I have read I need to do some research - I am also going to have a play with a M340 and some remote I/O on my desk :)

Thanks again 🤞🏻

i have worked on modicon plc's for 12 years only replaced 2 controllers due to water damage , we have 5 allen bradeley plc's rslogix 5000 , we have had for 5 years replaced 10 controlllers not due to water or anything else , plus the panelveiws don't last very long either, just depends on the techs there, if they are comfortable with modicon,keep with that plus you won't have to train them

Yeah, that would be cool too. They might like that since the software's free, but they also might say it's "too cheap".

OT: First time ever a few weeks ago I ordered a 400 amp contactor for a project from A/D (Fuji) and it was only like $580, so they made me switch to a/b and pay 3 times that much. The boss thought that the Fuji was too cheap so it must not be any good. . .(n)
The Fuji range have always been good - had years of experience with them. Just make sure the AC1~4 Rating is correct for your application all will work well.

I have used a handful of the smaller Fuji contactors, and I thought they were just fine. I have not had any of them falter yet. After I switched my order to A/B, the lead time was too long, so I ended up ordering the Fuji too. The day after I assembled the panel using the Fuji, the A/B contactor arrived so I used it and still have the 400amp Fuji. I inspected pretty closely, and I didn't see anything not to like...looks like a quality product to me. Maybe one day we'll get to use it somewhere to find out for real.

Ex Toyota Ian - you would know about Toyopuc then - blast from the past. You must be nearly as old as me.
I remember buying my first IBM compatible computer - paid as much for upgrading the hard drive from 5 meg to 10 meg as I paid for the computer. Then had to learn how to type and use DOS.
Hand held programmers, keypads on the front of the step controllers, all good stuff. SCY, S6, D40 etcetera. And then came CAPS, Hitachi software, Suare D software (re-badged Hitachi D40s) a whole flood of them at once.
No pretty Windows stuff, drag and drop in those days. Just had to type it in and function keys were an absolute hoot.
I am an electrical fitter who started out winding motors, wiring switch boards, service work. Then my boss found out I had an aptitude for controls and design - guess which way I went.
Spent 25 years in sales and management - more highly qualified there than in the electrical industry - couple of degrees.
Went back on the tools etcetera - no more brown noses and back stabbers - wonderful.
Nothing like learning by falling on the seat of your pants - you never forget. Even write specification outlines for consultants these days on an hourly rate - lousy dough and they get all the big money!!! At least I get to do the jobs my way.

hi BobB
Yep 16 years at Toyota Altona 1981 to 1997
I was a Senior Tech Officer when I left
we managed to get a Toyopuc offline programming package -$5000
the Online was the same price again.
just programmed via the old CRT programmer.
we introduced Hitachi into the Press Plant although the D series was standard in the engine plant.
Square D - thats another story - I still have the software and cables.
Replaced two in the last two years.
I'm 53

I have also just finished a project using schneider plc and hmi. It was an M238 and HMISTU655. both have performed flawlessly albeit the configuration was a bear. I have very good local support for both A-B and Schneider products. My feeling is Schneider is pricing their hardware to compete, but the support is lacking. My local rep has an area wide app engineer that knows his stuff, but the local guys are just salesmen. on the other hand the A-b rep in my area has knowledgeable salesmen. So I guess the bottom line is cost. You can definitely retrofit for less money with Schneider, but can anyone in your area support it?

not too sure Ken,
BobB posted at 6:11 am saturday
I posted at 11:35 am 19th
so it is probably sunday 20th

And yesterday west of New Zealand.
Ian, the board puts the date as per your time zone I believe.
I know if I want to ring the US on Monday, I do it Tuesday afternoon real time.